Updates can be hit and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunnenguk

Dabbler
This is a problem that I've noticed over the last few days. When attempting to apply updates, the message "Error: database is locked" flashes up on screen (the disappears)

When I tried this most recently, I decided to reboot the FreeNAS box and was presented with the following message:

{"error": true, "message": "Error: database is locked", "events": []}

After that, it did still let me reboot (a pretty lengthy process, but that's not out of the ordinary as it's running on a Gen8 Microserver so it goes through the lengthy POST process that's to be expected for server hardware).

After restarting, I can see that (under boot): 9.10-STABLE 201604181743 shows as "On Reboot, Now" (created on the 24th) so no new boot targets appear to have been added.

After attempting to update a second time, I saw the following error in the "Apply Pending Updates" window:

Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://freenas1/system/update/apply/?uuid=f6564e592f104f6cb1b40a9a964b407a
Software Version: FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201604181743 (74ef270)
Exception Type: AttributeError
Exception Value:
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'message'
Exception Location: /usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py in process_response, line 205
Server time: Sun, 1 May 2016 10:51:25 +0100

From /var/log/messages, I can see:

May 1 10:51:25 freenas1 manage.py: [py.warnings:205] /usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py:205: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of Python 2.6
else unicode(excp.message)

Strangely, I did not have permission to sudo - I've always had this before (I had to disable and re-enable it for my main account in the web UI)

Updates definitely get to 20% (Installing base-os 1/5). It hangs there for a while, the the following showed up in /var/log/messages:

"May 1 10:59:14 freenas1 updated.py: [freenasOS.Installer:308] Sub procss exited with status 0x100"

Eventually, automatic restart was triggered.

After rebooting, I saw no available updates and the boot target was showing as 9.10-STABLE-201604261518 and is dated for today (appears to be active)

So to cut a long story short, I was able to update but the process has seemed to be a bit hit and miss lately.
On the positive side, I love the email notifications when updates are available and when the update system works, it's very convenient (it certainly made the 9.3 to 9.10 upgrade painless)

Is this a common problem, or is there just something strange going on with my install?

Status
Not open for further replies.