Unstable system, with loss of CIFS share

Status
Not open for further replies.

busitech

Cadet
I have been running FreeNAS for about 8 months without any problems. I just upgraded to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201601181840 and set up the first jail a few days ago, and have seen the issue in this thread three times. FreeNAS is hosted by a Linux based virtual machine, on an enterprise grade HP ML350 G5. Mainly I wanted to point out that I have drastically different hardware here, which indicates this might be a software problem.

SinDeus

Explorer
Thank you for your feedback. If it is a software problem, for the love of me I can't figure it out and that really bugs me...

Edit: it happened again. I don't know where or what to look. I am growing sick of this, I will soon reinstall the whole system and see where it will lead me.

Last edited:

jimnastics

Cadet
Exactly the same problem occured for me today, the telemetry-gather script maxing out my CPU. Yesterday, I had this problem, I think it's all part of one big problem possibly to do with network instability? It's very annoying, I might just have to jump ship from freenas :/

SinDeus

Explorer
Hi, sorry for the delay.

I kind of fixed this issue (the maxed-out CPU) by resetting the whole FreeNAS configuration (i.e. restore factory default). I then set everything up the way it was. And it worked - well, the CPU part.

My system was rock solid for like two months, and then I once again lost the CIFS service, web GUI access, etc. But the jails were still running. I then tried not to reboot the FreeNAS, but my router. And everything went back to normal after a few minutes (and some ping commands). So, I assume that all these issues I had were due to a faulty router - which is growing kind of old. It still occurs every now and then, but I now know the workaround.

I hope that you will find the source of your problem too.

Status
Not open for further replies.