Unable to view 'Settings' Tab on GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jezeha

Dabbler
I recently updated to the release version of FreeNAS (8.0.1), hoping it would clear this issue up, but it didn't. My config is as follows:

Hostname freenas.freenas
FreeNAS Build FreeNAS-8.0.1-RELEASE-i386 (8081)
Platform AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor
Memory 1779MB
System Time Mon Oct 3 18:58:10 2011
Uptime 6:58PM up 20:58, 1 user
Load Average 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
OS Version FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3
Motherboard: MSI K9N6PGM2-V2

The boot device is an old IDE 40 GB hard drive.

Let me know if I need to add any more info. The attachment shows a screenshot of the error. This has never worked on any hardware. Please help!
screenshot.JPG

ProtoSD

MVP
Have you tried another browser? This usually solves the problem. FreeNAS hasn't completely covered all the different browser variations (tough to do).

jezeha

Dabbler
I probably should've mentioned I'm using FireFox. I've also tried with I.E., but nothing works on that. Should I bother with Chrome since FireFox seems to work for most?

ProtoSD

MVP
Firefox should be fine, what version are you using? Have you tried clearing your browser cache?

ProtoSD

MVP
Sorry I've been preoccupied with my own problem. @Milhouse beat me to it, 4.01 is pretty old. It's fine if you want to keep using it, but can you try with a more current version and see if that helps?

jezeha

Dabbler
Thanks for all the quick replies. I upgraded to 7, cleared the cache and still get the error.

jezeha

Dabbler
Are we past the browser at this point? Is there some kind of log file I can reference somewhere where the actual error gets stored? I've been through several beta and now the release version of FreeNAS and this has never worked. Reading through the docs, it looks like the Settings Tab is pretty important and I'd love to have it there.

ProtoSD

MVP
At this point I think I'm at a loss for suggestions. The log files don't tell you anything about problems with the GUI. If you want to take a look at the stuff that does get logged, they're kept in /var/log.

So you're saying the settings tab has NEVER worked on any version you have used? If that's what you meant, that is VERY strange. I'll give it some more thought, I understand your frustration.

There are few other things that need fixing and haven't been fixed yet also. The developers are very responsive, but they are a small scattered about the world group and are probably a little overwhelmed. People like myself are just volunteers trying to help out and don't really have any inside info other than reading tickets and comments from the developers when they update the code.

jezeha

Dabbler
Correct, that is has never worked. To be honest, I'm half anticipating needing to do a full install (have been doing cd upgrades so far) and have actually started copying off data to that end. I've been through the var logs without finding any info, which is really the only frustrating part.

I appreciate the responsiveness I've gotten on this. Hopefully someone will stumble on a recommendation before I have to tear down the whole thing.

Milhouse

Guru
I suppose trying Chrome wouldn't hurt.

Probably not the cause, but what language is set in your browser (in Firefox, Options->Options->Content Tab, click Languages "Choose..." button then list here the languages you see, from top to bottom).

ProtoSD

MVP
It just seems really strange and doesn't make sense! Have you tried from another computer? Maybe there's some script on that page that is getting blocked by your antivirus or something? That would seem like the only thing potentially in common with all the browsers.

jezeha

Dabbler
Good news....I reset FreeNAS to the factory defaults and the issue was resolved. Something I did in the process created an extra 'homes' share, which I can't see to get rid of, but the settings tab is showing up now.

Thanks, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.