SOLVED Unable to successfully install 9.10-Stable

Is this a case of someone not trying hard enough before asking for help?

• Without a doubt!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Of course not.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WildGoose

Cadet
Let me begin by thanking you for your input in advance. This is a first for me, I’m trying to do an install of FreeNAS 9.10 Stable on all new components. My hardware is as follows:

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SM-F-0
CPU: Intel I3-6320
Memory: 2-16GB DDR-4-2133 ECC Samsung
Drives: 3-WD Red 3TB 5400RPM
L2ARC: 1-120GB Mushkin ECO3
Boot Drive: 1-16GB Mushkin Enhanced Ventura Plus USB Flash
Power: Corsair RM750x
Cooling: 6-120mm Noctua NF-S12B Redux PWM
All crammed in a custom Gladiator Series Wall Enclosure (mostly just for fun)

I burnt the 9.10-STABLE image to a CD. I connected my old school IDE Lite On DVD Drive via USB with the help from an external enclosure. Again, really trying to learn but a little out of my depth here. It appeared as though it was encountering numerous errors, as the text scrolls by very quickly the parts I could make out were “SCSI Status error’s”, “Error 5, Unretryable error” and Error 6, Unretryable error”. The first go around I paid little attention as I wasn’t sure what any of it meant. It takes me to the Console Setup, where I chose option (1) Install/Upgrade and hit OK. Then it displays my drives, so I select my 16GB Mushkin USB Flash to install onto (14.8GB but who’s counting), again hitting OK. At this point I get more of the same errors. Again still not sure what I’m looking at. Then the installation warning appears and asks if I want to proceed with writing to my USB Flash Drive, I select yes. It prompts for root password and I oblige hitting OK afterward. Again, I get more of the same errors and you guessed it still completely ignorant of what they mean. After a few seconds I get a message that reads “The FreeNAS Installation on da0 (the USB Flash) has failed. Press enter to continue..”.

I read and reread the documentation and searched in vain for what I’m doing wrong. If anyone could help this lost noob it would be greatly appreciated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
L2ARC: 1-120GB Mushkin ECO3
Forget about that, though it's a secondary concern at the moment.

I connected my old school IDE Lite On DVD Drive via USB with the help from an external enclosure.
Geez, that's dodgy. I mean really dodgy. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the USB/PATA bridge didn't have proper ATAPI support.

It's also a rather silly way of going about things, in general. The board has IPMI. Use it. Log in to the IPMI GUI, run the iKVM Java application, mount the ISO and be done with it.

WildGoose

Cadet
I'm sure it's no surprise I hadn't thought of that approach. Can you recommend any reading on the proper method to mount the ISO using the iKVM Java application? Thank you for your assistance.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm sure it's no surprise I hadn't thought of that approach. Can you recommend any reading on the proper method to mount the ISO using the iKVM Java application? Thank you for your assistance.
Open the ikvm console. Look at the menus. One of them has an option to mount media. Point it to your ISO.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Search the forum a bit more, there are several examples here on how to do it including screenshots.

WildGoose

Cadet
Geez, that's dodgy. I mean really dodgy. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the USB/PATA bridge didn't have proper ATAPI support.

Ericloewe,
Your assessment was spot on. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. iKVM worked fantastically the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.