Unable to replace failing drive in pool

GJSchaller

Contributor
Running a TRUENAS-MINI-3.0-X, with TrueNAS-13.0-RELEASE. I got a message that one of my drives had bad sectors, and ordered a new, identical drive. All five drives in the NAS (and the pool) and the replacement drive are identical (WD 4TB Red Pro).

I followed the instructions from the Guide, set the bad drive to be offline, removed the hardware, replaced the bad drive with the new one, and seated the new drive. So far, so good. When I look at the pool status, I can see it is degraded, and where ada2 used to be, there is now "/dev/gptid/d4d15ce1-c356-11ec-8657-3cecef5f91bc" instead.

When I click on the menu for the new drive, and click on Replace, I get the dialogue box to choose a member, and check "Force", but even after selecting both, I can't seem to click on [Replace Disk] - it's highlighted, but nothing happens when I click on it. No results, no error, just nothing.

How can I replace the damaged disk, and restore my Pool to a healthy status? Searching on this shows there are old examples from the CLI, but they all come with the warning to use the GUI instead as the CLI version may change in future versions.

Thank you for any help!

Etorix

Wizard
13.0-RELEASE has a notorious bug with drive replacement.
I'd suggest to upgrade to 13.0-U1 first, as the issue should be fixed there. Or revert to TrueNAS 12 if the pool was not upgraded.

GJSchaller

Contributor
OK, that explains a lot. I saw the U1 notes that said "For testing only" and didn't want to upgrade with a degraded pool, but it looks like that's the best path.

jcthorne

Cadet
I had the same trouble. Upgrading to U1 did not help. Still would not replace drive. I had to revert to 13.0 and use the command line routine posted in the bug reports (replace_drive.py). The pool is currently resilvering but the bug reported to be fixed in 13U1 is NOT FIXED.