Ubuntu going all in on ZFS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montel Bahn

Dabbler
and surely most of the linux ecosystem will facilitate.
!!!!suggest FreeNAS ui focus on accuracy and correctness!!!,
maybe with a toggle for advanced AND developer.
Stop the schizoid strategies and buckle down/focus already!
Cripe, in this day and age, there is a huge business opportunity from licensing/branding alone...
Whole companies are built like that.... on honorable products that under-promise and over-deliver.
Just my 2c

zambanini

Patron
that is sad news for zfs.

more noobs will use a complex system. that is the way you can destroy complete brands.

m0nkey_

MVP
Right, like we're l33t and the Ubuntu community is not? I welcome ZFS onto Ubuntu and any other Linux distro that implements it. I know I will use it once it's available and no longer have to deal with dkms.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Got no issue with it at all really. Just wondering if they will recommend similar hardware (like ECC Ram) or if there will be an influx of arguments based on "Well Ubuntu says I can run with only 2 GB of Non-ECC...."

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Got no issue with it at all really. Just wondering if they will recommend similar hardware (like ECC Ram) or if there will be an influx of arguments based on "Well Ubuntu says I can run with only 2 GB of Non-ECC...."
You can run zfs with 2GB of non-ecc and it will work just fine. The memory requirement for freenas is higher because of the UI but zfs doesn't really care about memory as long as you aren't using dedup or thousands of datasets.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
You can run zfs with 2GB of non-ecc and it will work just fine. The memory requirement for freenas is higher because of the UI but zfs doesn't really care about memory as long as you aren't using dedup or thousands of datasets.
What about data integrity?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What about data integrity?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Data integrity will be just fine, performance will not be great but that should be expected if you data working set is larger than the ram you have for cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.