TrueNAS V13.0-v5.3 & v6 do not recognize RealTEK 2.5GBe Lan Chip

JerryT

Cadet
I've been using FreeNAS since V7 and now TrueNAS V13 and most of the iterations in between. I had a motherboard NIC stop working on one of 3 NAS's I've built over the years and decided to upgrade them with some current hardware. What was suppose to be a pleasant experience over the holiday has turned into a nightmare. I purchased a Gigabyte Z790 UD DDR4 mother boards with the Intel LGA1700 processor, moved over my hard drives to the new board. I had to reinstall TrueNAS (which is what I was going to do anyway) for the board to recognize the boot drive. After the install of the OS V13.0-V5.3 (and I tried v6.0), I went to assign it a fixed IP address and there was no NIC showing on the setup screen. Now you are probably going to say 'Well why don't cha buy one of those SuperMicro boards?" At $500 a crack, they are a bit pricey at my age, especially when you're getting 3. Besides I've had good luck using the motherboards from the old PC's I've previously built.

This is what I have built:
Gigabyte Z790 UD DDR4
Intel LGA1700
Corsair Vengeance 2x16gb
Crucial Boot Drive MX500
5-WD Red PRO 4TB hard drives
LAN interface is a RealTEK 2.5GBe LAN chip

I chose the Gigabyte board because of the 6 SATA ports ($175) and a more up to date processor ($250) and memory ($100). Considering the issues I am having with my choice of motherboard and wanting to keep the CPU and memory because I bought 2 of everything. Are there any other motherboards that I could look at, that would be able to use my CPU and memory that's half the cost of a SuperMicro? OR is there something I'm overlooking? Ya know can't see the forest from the trees?

I've spent most of my Christmas holiday working and searching for solutions for this upgrade instead of with the wife. She is starting to gather the materials for me to build a doghouse.

JerryT