TrueNAS servers completely hangs/freezes on splash screen

malapersona

Cadet
Hello , Im new to TrueNas but im really liking what ive seen so far and looking forward to unlocking more potential.

Recently i started my first CORE server with the specs listed in my signature(i5 7600k, z270 k3 gigabyte mobo , 16gb corsair ram).

The server was running fine but I rebooted after trying to install the plex media server plugin and upon rebooting the server pc was completely frozen on the splash screen and the CPU fan was very loud , like it was at full load. The boot drive in question is ADATA 64gb UV128, that only has the truenas installation on it.
If I boot the pc (without the cursed USB drive connected) it boots to the bios fine and everything seems okay, but upon connecting the usb boot drive the cpu goes full load and the bios freezes totally ( mouse, and keyboard unresponsive, screen not updating),

I don't know what I did to cause the boot drive to do that, tried plugging it to my windows pc and it does nothing,

I hope i didnt break any rules and thanks in advance

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Yes, your USB drive has gone south. TrueNAS isn't recommended for installation on thumb drives anymore, since their reliability is too poor. Nowadays we recommend SATA DOMs or small M.2 SSDs, either direct-attach or via USB3 adapter.

Your data is still safe. Only your OS drive is toast. Just reinstall to a new OS drive.

If you'd saved your config before the crash using System->General->Save Config, you can navigate to System->General->Upload Config after the reinstall to restore your system back to its original state before the crash. If not, you'll need to rekey your config back in by hand.

malapersona

Cadet
Yes, your USB drive has gone south. TrueNAS isn't recommended for installation on thumb drives anymore, since their reliability is too poor. Nowadays we recommend SATA DOMs or small M.2 SSDs, either direct-attach or via USB3 adapter.

Your data is still safe. Only your OS drive is toast. Just reinstall to a new OS drive.

If you'd saved your config before the crash using System->General->Save Config, you can navigate to System->General->Upload Config after the reinstall to restore your system back to its original state before the crash. If not, you'll need to rekey your config back in by hand.
are you sure the drive its dead? I only used it as boot drive for less than a day and it was fairly new before that. I cant be that easy to kill a usb drive

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Trust me. I've burned out countless thumb drives on my own system before I gave up on thumb drives. The problem is thumb drives are built as cheaply as possible, with the slowest flash with the least endurance possible to hit a price point. TrueNAS uses ZFS for the boot volume, and ZFS is a drive tester masquerading as a file system. It's very possible to burn through the thumb drive's endurance for certain sectors a few hours after install.