TrueNAS reboot a physical switch!

vgusev2007

Dabbler
Dear all, I use
Version:
TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1

And I have network switch HP 1910-8 JG536A (and I have the same problem with the same model like 1920 and so on)

When I change any network settings in TrueNAS or start a jail the switch is reboot for 1 second (it disconnects users from all ports too!).

It looks like this one for every port of the switch (please look at the picture below my post).

Ethernet1/0/1 link status is DOWN.
Ethernet1/0/1 link status is UP.

What the problem? I use only one network adapter with one ip, no VLAN etc.

I'm shocked! I use supermicro server platform with 2 CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5667 @ 3.07GHz

I don't have such problem when I use proxmox on this hardware.

dmesg output is:

igb0: link state changed to DOWN
hwpmc: SOFT/16/64/0x67<INT,USR,SYS,REA,WRI> TSC/1/64/0x20<REA> IAP/4/48/0x3ff<INT,USR,SYS,EDG,THR,REA,WRI,INV,QUA,PRC> IAF/3/48/0x67<INT,USR,SYS,REA,WRI> UCP/8/48/0x3f8<EDG,THR,REA,WRI,INV,QUA,PRC> UCF/1/48/0x60<REA,WRI>
Security policy loaded: MAC/ntpd (mac_ntpd)
igb0: link state changed to UP
bridge0: Ethernet address: 58:9c:fc:10:ff:bd
epair0a: Ethernet address: 02:e4:7a:c8:6b:0a
epair0b: Ethernet address: 02:e4:7a:c8:6b:0b
epair0a: link state changed to UP
epair0b: link state changed to UP
epair0a: changing name to 'vnet0.1'
bridge0: link state changed to UP
igb0: promiscuous mode enabled
vnet0.1: promiscuous mode enabled
lo0: link state changed to UP
vnet0.1: link state changed to DOWN
epair0b: link state changed to DOWN

Best regards,
Viktor.

Attachments

• 1706981149822.png
    1706981149822.png
    14 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

vgusev2007

Dabbler
network model name is:
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
device = '82576 Gigabit Network Connection'

vgusev2007

Dabbler
I've tried to create a bridge disable hw offloading mode with no luck. Every time when I stop jail my switch is reboot.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Regardless of what your server is doing, you've got a switch-shaped problem. With some luck, it's a stupid pseudo-feature in the vein of "bounce this port to reboot the switch", but it's far more likely that you either have a hardware defect or software bug in that switch.

vgusev2007

Dabbler
Regardless of what your server is doing, you've got a switch-shaped problem. With some luck, it's a stupid pseudo-feature in the vein of "bounce this port to reboot the switch", but it's far more likely that you either have a hardware defect or software bug in that switch.
If I use proxmox, other linux, windows - there is no any problem. The problem comes only when I setup TrueNAS core, and stop jail or change network settings. I'm shocked with it. It puts down of all my office LAN network.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, well, there's no hidden feature in IEEE 802.3 to reboot a switch, and other switches are coping just fine, so you're unlikely to get traction on changing anything.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
This is in no way related to your problem. No matter what a host sends out a network interface - if the connected switch reboots the switch is to blame. Period.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I once had a god-awful USB NIC (integrated in a store-branded El-Cheapo USB Type-C hub) that did something weird (never did check before returning, but I assume it was flooding the network with phoney ARP traffic) that took down much of the network while plugged in. You know how many switches (standalone, embedded in access points, unmanaged and managed) rebooted because of that crap? Zero.

Switches. Must. Not. Reboot. Regardless. Of. What. They. Receive. Otherwise DDoSing any network would be trivial.