TrueNAS Not Booting After Install

Malakae

Cadet
Trying to get my own server up and running to store some backups of files and whatnot. But I can't get it to boot. I currently have the installation on a thumb drive due to the fact I can't use my external SSD or my HDD as the boot device. I am able to complete the install, but it always comes up with "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" whenever I boot the system on. How do I fix this so I can set up the rest of things?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Details of your hardware, please, per the Forum Rules. Usually this needs to be addressed in the BIOS settings.

Malakae

Cadet
Right, so it's an old Gateway SX2855, with an acer h61h2-ad Motherboard, an i3-2100, 4GB of RAM, a 1TB HDD and 1TB External SSD. The thumb drive containing the install is a 64GB Sandisk drive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not a recipe for success, between the OEM-ified desktop motherboard and system memory a quarter of the minimum requirement, so do tread lightly.

That said, some system firmware tips for boot priorities and stuff:
  • Try leaving only the TrueNAS disk on the boot priorities list, disable everything else.
  • If your system has UEFI firmware, it's a pretty early one, which may mean extra-buggy. Try both native UEFI and CSM boot.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
IIRC, some of those early Gateways couldn't boot from USB, as that generation of BIOS pre-dated the USB standard. It also pre-dates 64-bit OSes, and may not be able to boot a 64-bit OS like TrueNAS. You may need to find a more recent BIOS to flash. I agree with @Ericloewe your hardware is entirely inadequate.