TrueNAS is more than only NAS.

Andrey_Nik

Cadet
Hi!
I'm new in TrueNAS SCALE and I want to create own NAS based on it. But not only NAS is interesting for me in TrueNAS SCALE.
TrueNAS is more than only NAS. I've a plan to use it for virtual PC in parallel with NAS. My mini-ITX motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING has Ethernet I225-I 2.5GBit Ethernet and WiFi-6 Intel AX200.
My plan was - using Ethernet for NAS, and WiFi for virtual PC. But the TrueNAS SCALE hasn't drivers for my networks cards, but Linux has it.
Intel has drivers for Linux, but it's still missing in TrueNAS.

How to solve this issue?

Best regards!

Andrey_Nik

Cadet
Solved.

dbsmith

Cadet
Hi Andrey, I've been having a similar problem. Can you share how you solved your issue so others like me can learn? Thanks in advance!

Andrey_Nik

Cadet
Hi Andrey, I've been having a similar problem. Can you share how you solved your issue so others like me can learn? Thanks in advance!
Hi!
My fault was missing Ethernet cable in the socket. I think that TrueNAS has to be started with local IP address like 127.0.0.1.
When I'd connect Ethernet - TrueNAS starting with IP address of network. WiFi still isn't working - for me it was "nice to have" futures.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can have your virtual machines connected via the same cable Ethernet. Using WiFi for a NAS or a server in general does not make much sense.

isaes

Cadet
Andrey, did you get your networking working with your motherboard? I have exactly the same configuration (CPU + motherboard) and I'm unable to get ethernet working properly. I was under the impression that proper support for that Intel NIC in B550-I would get proper support at Linux Kernel 5.15 (next release of Truenas Scale). Currently the connection seems to be iff (only connecting at 100 megabits), and I can only get 1.5 megabytes / second on transfer speeds which is really odd. I hope it's just an issue with my cables though.

dbsmith

Cadet
I'm not OP, but I worked around the problem by installing a nightly build of 22.12 Bluefin, which had a kernel driver for my NICs built-in.

I don't like running my NAS on alphas, but it's been about two months since I did it and have come across a few bugs and UI glitches, but am yet to run into any showstoppers that actually block file or block level data access from clients.

I'm happy for now, but I'll be happier when I can install a beta/RC/final of Bluefin.