TrueNAS creating 'personal share' under SMB share

justSem

Cadet
Hi!

I realise that this title might sound a bit ambigous, so I'll try to explain it as best as I can.
We're running in to a strange issue with our SMB shares.

Our TrueNAS is domain-joined to an AADDS domain, so our users go through AD to authenticate to SMB.
We have a few active shares on our TrueNAS box, in this example we'll just refer to our share as the 'projects' share.

We have a dataset which is called 'projects' as well, so in this case the full path to that might be: /mnt/Pool1/shares/projects
Both the shares and projects datasets are set to SMB.

In our SMB ACL we have one entry, granting everyone in the Domain Users group modify access.
We initially set this up and all access and authentication seemed to be working fine, until one of the end users reported that they can't see files others created on the share.
Upon investigating, we discovered that somehow TrueNAS is making some sort of "user directory" below the share path, and mounting that as the root of the share.
So now, the users that mounts [ICODE}\\truenas\projects[/ICODE] will not mount /mnt/Pool1/shares/projects but /mnt/Pool1/shares/projects/username/ - it's even listed as a different dataset in TrueNAS, which leads me to believe this is some kind of TrueNAS specific behaviour. I just can't find out what's causing it.

Has anyone experienced this before, or can anyone guide me towards some way to debug this?
Screenshots are attached for clarification.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 12.15.45.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 12.15.45.png
    210.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 12.15.54.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 12.15.54.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 12.18.53.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 12.18.53.png
    998.5 KB · Views: 161

sretalla