Transfer speeds drop to next to nothing after a few seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve-O

Cadet
First, my set up.

Previously, I was running Windows XP with a few external drives as my network drives. I store movies/tv shows on the drives that I watch via XBMC (on my living room computer connected via CAT5)

I have a separate computer in the office that I connect to the network wirelessly to transfer files to the server.

Transfers via wireless is slow but acceptable.

Anyway, I thought I'd be clever and instead replace the Windows XP with the latest FREENAS. I set up the program on the computer (replacing Windows XP with FreeNas). Eventually, go the files to show up on the XBMC computer on the network and streaming fine.

But there's the issue, when I try to move a file from my Office computer (where I download things) the transfer speed starts about the same as it was before (450 KB/S) then it drops like a white trash Oscar actress to around 22 KB/S and stay there.

why is it dropping to such a low speed after 20 seconds?? I'm set up as CIFS and SMART on but all else off. I can get to the drives (external) connected to the FreeNAS computer. But it's just so sloowwww when I transfer.

I don't know what the specs are for the FreeNAS computer, nor the external HD. I understood you didn't need a fast machine to run FreeNAS but now I'm reading you need a dual core with lots of ram?? And I didn't reformat the external hard drives. I used the same drives I had using Windows XP-- which worked just fine (which now has me kicking myself).

Any help? (The office computer is Windows 8, the XBMC computer is Windows 7)

ProtoSD

MVP
You need to post the complete details for the machine you're running FreeNAS on.

You said you didn't reformat your external drives, by external do you mean USB?
And by not formatting do you mean you've imported an NTFS partition(s)?

If the answer is yes, then you have the answer to your problem.

Again, you need to post complete details as outlined in the forum rules...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Got it. Yes NTFS partitions. Yes, USB connections to the FreeNAS

Both of those are big no-nos with FreeNAS if you value your data and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.