transfer drives question

Status
Not open for further replies.

S762

Cadet
I’ve been using FreeNAS 9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x86 since 2014 and it been flawless. We use it for backup & file storage and last year enabled the FTP function for two inbound security cams and it’s been perfect. I have a script running on a windows system that deletes the cam files nightly that are older than 2 weeks old.

The problem is that it is slowing down I believe due to adding two more cams (for a total of four) and the added incoming traffic is taking a slight toll on speed and performance so time to upgrade. It still works but time to upgrade plus I think I could build something that uses less power.

So here is my question since my only setup experience was original setup back in 2014. I’m wondering if it possible to take my two exiting 2 TB hard drives and import them into the new system from the old system and how difficult that is? Honestly I don’ know don’t even remember what file system I used back in 2014 but it was probably not the latest & greatest at that time because of the low system resources. Thanks in advance for any advise

danb35

Hall of Famer
I’m wondering if it possible to take my two exiting 2 TB hard drives and import them into the new system from the old system and how difficult that is?
Assuming you used ZFS, which you probably did, sure you can. Use "import volume" and you're set.

S762

Cadet
Assuming you used ZFS, which you probably did, sure you can. Use "import volume" and you're set.

Thanks for the info, ordering the parts now. New mainboard only has two sata connectors so hopefully 11.1 will setup and run from thumb drive like I have now.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Nick2253

Wizard
What hardware are you looking at? Not all hardware is equally good for FreeNAS, and we'd be happy to make some recommendations for you.

S762

Cadet
What hardware are you looking at? Not all hardware is equally good for FreeNAS, and we'd be happy to make some recommendations for you.

Same setup as my pfsense box minus the quad Intel Nic

One- ASRock J3455B-ITX Intel Quad-Core Processor J3455

TWO- SK HYNIX 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S DDR3-1600 204 Pin SODIMM HMT351S6EFR8A RAM Memory

I plan to repurpose the existing Western Digital NAS rated Hard drives, have not seen them since 2014 but I remember they were NAS rated. Then plan to boot and run it off thumb drive as it does now. There is only two of us using it, we have mapped drives to run ViceVersa Pro backups maybe once or twice a week. The major lifting it will perform is the FTP operation for the incoming files from the cams.

Nick2253

Wizard
That's really not great hardware for FreeNAS. Hardware recommendation guide: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

I mean, it should work, but you do open yourself up to more risk. The consumer grade hardware isn't really designed to run 24/7, and the lack of ECC compatibility opens you up to random errors. Obviously, it's up to you if that's a risk you're willing to take. Also, SMB is single threaded, so if you're doing anything with SMB, you're probably going to face a bottleneck with the CPU.

In comparison to something like pfSense: if your router dies, you lose internet for a couple days while replacement parts come back. Worst case, you have no backup of your config, and have to recreate it manually. If you lose your NAS, that could be your data. In my opinion, my data is worth significantly more to me than my internet connection, and so it's worth it to invest in more robust hardware. After all, FreeNAS leverages technologies like ZFS in order to make storage as bullet proof as possible. Installing it on a wobbly foundation does no one any good.

S762

Cadet
That's really not great hardware for FreeNAS. Hardware recommendation guide: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

I mean, it should work, but you do open yourself up to more risk. .
Good point about data loss vs the internet connection for a few hours. Just looked at the link you provided and it does mention a few of the ASRock boards, I just stumbled on the ASRock AD2550R/U3S3 Mini ITX Server Motherboard DDR3 1066 and if I could use the above mentioned memory and an ITX case I’ll upgrade to that one. $135 plus s&h and tax that’s my limit. What do you think of that one, it’s a step up…

kdragon75

Wizard

Nick2253

Wizard
ASRock AD2550R
That processor/mobo only supports up to 4GB of memory, so that's probably a worse choice.

You may not be able to get CPU and server-grade motherboard for under $135, especially mini-ITX (which is more expensive in general because of it's voodoo shrunkenness). You can get a Supermicro A2SAV-L for about $200, though that's a less capable dual core processor.

I haven't shopped in the extreme budget realm in a while, so there might be some good deals to be had by buying a used full system as opposed to parts.

S762

Cadet
That processor/mobo only supports up to 4GB of memory, so that's probably a worse choice.

You may not be able to get CPU and server-grade motherboard for under $135, especially mini-ITX (which is more expensive in general because of it's voodoo shrunkenness). You can get a Supermicro A2SAV-L for about $200, though that's a less capable dual core processor.

I haven't shopped in the extreme budget realm in a while, so there might be some good deals to be had by buying a used full system as opposed to parts.

I should have posted back, I did see the 4GB limitation just before I was about to place the order but thanks for the heads-up just the same. I went for the ASRock Rack Motherboard J1900D2Y which takes up to 16GB of ram and I have 8GB inbound. I should be able to stick that one in a ITX case I have. the board is coming tomorrow and the memory is coming from ebay and only have a USPS ETA so if you live in the US you know how that goes. I don't have a 19V PS but I have an extra picoPSU & 12V power supply so probably going to go that way. Hope to start on it over the weekend.

since this sub-forum is geared for noobs like more that likely will post back with regards to my my original question with the disc transfer assuming all goes well with the new parts. Still a litter uncertain on moving the disc but going to move forward since the old gx620 is slowing down...

Status
Not open for further replies.