Transfer data from Windows Server

revengineer

Contributor
After 6 months of gradually building up my server, burning in the hardware, and learning about freenas, I am about to transfer my data (~15 TB) stored in several shares on my windows server to freenas. I am planning to create pool datasets and smb mounts with equal names and transfer them one at a time. Two questions:

1. What is the best and safest way to transfer these data? Should I use "mount_smb" to mount the windows shares on the freenas server and then use "cp -r" to recursively copies those directories? Or should I go another route.

2. Is there a way to verify source against destination files after the transfer?

Advice greatly appreciated.

garm

Wizard
Bare minimum, use robocopy! But it won’t integrity check the data. To do that you need rsync, which is a trip all on its own..

revengineer

Contributor
Thank you both. Right, doing the copy from the windows side works too. Thanks for the reminder and tip. I will look into fciv for the integrity check or possibly opt for a third-party tool such as Beyond Compare. These tools are mentioned in google searches of folks recommending robocopy.

I see a variety of switches suggested for use in robocopy. I will have to sort through which ones make most sense for my situation. If there are recommendations, however, I will gladly take them.