Time Machine setup on FS 8.3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully

Explorer
Hello All,

First off, awesome resource and my compliments to the Chefs!

I've been trying to setup a AFP share for TimeMachine. I had to update to FreeNAS-8.3.1-ALPHA-r12085-x64, as it resolved the issue I was having in FreeNAS 8.2.0-RELEASE-p1 (more specifically, I could not add a user, ref >> http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?8033-Freenas-8-2-Can-t-Add-New-Users-(sometimes))

Either way, I'm now running FreeNAS-8.3.1-ALPHA-r12085-x64 and I'm using the following directions http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Apple_(AFP)_Shares

1. I created a ZFS dataset name /mnt/data/tm_sully (which was successful)
2. I then try to create a user (sully) with a home directory of (/mnt/data/tm_sully) as stated in the aforementioned directions. However this fails with the following error.

Code:
Aug 23 09:03:15 armory manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Operation could not be performed. pw: mkdir '/home': File exists ]

Screenshot:
Screen%2520Shot%25202012-08-23%2520at%25209.20.17%2520AM.png

I'm assuming that it has something to do with the existing directory /mnt/data/tm_sully already created by the ZFS dataset, however, I draw a blank otherwise.

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated. If your close by (Boston area), I'll buy you a beer!

Thanks,
Sully

pvuchetich

Dabbler
I am validating functionality of 8.3.0-beta1 on a spare box today (planning on setting up a new FreeNAS to upgrade from 0.7 to 8.3), and I got the identical error message when creating a new user using the menu "Account --> users --> add user".

I had also created a ZFS pool and a separate dataset within that pool.

Aug 23 21:50:23 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Operation could not be performed. pw: mkdir '/home': File exists ]

The following workaround successfully created the account, but I do not yet know why:
When creating the account, I left the default directory as "/nonexistent"
The account was created without an error message.
Then I changed the user home directory to the volume/dataset that I created previously, which would be equivalent to your /mnt/data/tm_sully directory.

I have a Mac available that I will test, but I haven't hooked it up to this NAS yet to know if this will solve the AFP issue. Post a reply if first creating a user is a viable workaround.

My guess is that there is something broken with the user creation script that is trying to create a "/home" directory, possibly off of the root directory based on the error message.
There is a link in the root directory for "home", which says it is a link to "/var/home".

backdoc

Dabbler
I am running into an issue creating a guest account. I am trying to configure anonymous access per the directions here: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Windows_(CIFS)_Shares

When I attempt to set the Home Directory to the volume that I am sharing, it gives me the same middleware error that you are receiving.

My guess is that the "Home Directory" defaults to "/home" and the value for the actual contents is being ignored. I've dabbled with Django and have *nix for many years. So, maybe I can track that down. I'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.