time machine keeps restarting backup job

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovaka

Dabbler
i just installed 8.3.0 and got everything running just fine, setup all my shares permission and what not and then i setup time machine for my mac but as soon as time machine finishes its initial backup the next time it runs it acts as though it didnt do anything and wants to send another full 700gb backup to time machine i poked around a bit and couldnt find anyone else that had this same problem. the mac im using has always used time machine and its never had any issues on the computer side with it before but the setup for time machine in freenas seems so simple im not sure where its going wrong.

JaimieV

Guru
Don't see that here, and my TM share on the FreeNAS is all defaults apart from setting the advertisement type to Time Machine, and having it on a quota'd dataset.

I'd suggest hitting up http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html and checking out his Time Machine FAQ to see if this is some common situation and fix. I'd look it up myself but pondini.org isn't opening for me right now.

dovaka

Dabbler
i went through all of that and its all stuff i already knew. i also delete the entire dataset and started over but its still doing the same thing.

JaimieV

Guru
Can't think of anything much to suggest... maybe have an experiment using a non-TM-advertised share as the destination?

The only other difference I can think of is that I created my shares in 8.0.2 or so, and upgraded to current. Have you tried 8.3.1?

fracai

Guru
Are you running 10.7 or higher? Use the command line tool "tmutil" to find the differences between two recent backups that both transferred that large set of data. You may find that it's a VM image or some other large file or fileset that is indeed always changing and has nothing to do with backing up TimeMachine to FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.