This right HBA/RAID Controller for Truenas

Peque

Dabbler
Hi Forum.
I have some issues on my server - and thinking the onboard HBA/RAID Controller is the issue.
We have bought this server SuperMicro SSG-5029P-E1CTR12L and where using the onboard controller as HBA - but suddenly it'll crashes the disc(all 12 without detailed etc)

I think think is carse by the HBA/RAID Controller - so I'm looking for a replacements controller - which is used for the TrueNAS systems ( Raidz2) and have the best performance/setup. For looking through all the different posts regarding which controller is the best - just got me more confussed regarding which to choose.

What will you prefer - as the controller for handling 12 drives - in this setup?

I've allso ask my reseller - but its not their knowledge regarding FreeBSD RAIDZ - so no help from that point.
AOC-S3108L-H8IR-SPMAOC-S3108L-H8iR Retail Pack
BTR-TFM8G-LSICVM02-SPM
03-25444-06 LSI Supercap w/ 8GB CV + 24'' cable
BKT-BBU-BRACKET-05-SPMLSI BBU-BRACKET-05 Remote Mounting Board
Which is the controller the reseller recommend - but Again - my knowledge isn't regarding the controllers and if this is good enough for TrueNas RAIDz2 as I want to use.

Which Controller will you recommend ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
We have a great resource that explains why you won't be using that card your reseller recommends --

https://www.truenas.com/community/t...s-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.81931/

Do be sure to follow the link and read it, plus follow and read any links that seem relevant or helpful that you find within it.

The onboard LSI 3008 based controller on your mainboard should be sufficient, but needs to be crossflashed to IT mode. Supermicro apparently tells people not to do this and claims it will void your warranty, so if you choose to add an external controller instead, make sure that it is a simple LSI HBA like the LSI 9340-8i, and that you crossflash it appropriately. Bad words when looking for replacement cards include "cache" and "battery".

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Supermicro apparently tells people not to do this and claims it will void your warranty
I have had Supermicro support sending me current IT mode firmware after I opened a ticket with them.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I have had Supermicro support sending me current IT mode firmware after I opened a ticket with them.

Yeah, but was it the correct firmware? That's historically been the problem, they like handing out stuff that's somewhat older.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
This is what I got at the time - the systems have been behaving well since installation:
Code:
mpr0: <Avago Technologies (LSI) SAS3008> port 0xe000-0xe0ff mem 0xdf240000-0xdf24ffff,0xdf200000-0xdf23ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on
pci1
mpr0: Firmware: 16.00.01.00, Driver: 23.00.00.00-fbsd

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Okay, I stand ... well, not corrected, maybe just ... updated. ;-)

Peque

Dabbler
We have a great resource that explains why you won't be using that card your reseller recommends --

https://www.truenas.com/community/t...s-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.81931/

Do be sure to follow the link and read it, plus follow and read any links that seem relevant or helpful that you find within it.

The onboard LSI 3008 based controller on your mainboard should be sufficient, but needs to be crossflashed to IT mode. Supermicro apparently tells people not to do this and claims it will void your warranty, so if you choose to add an external controller instead, make sure that it is a simple LSI HBA like the LSI 9340-8i, and that you crossflash it appropriately. Bad words when looking for replacement cards include "cache" and "battery".
¨Thanks you very much - Flashing my Controller to IT _ all errors gone and drive is healthy again