the System > Reporting menu is blank in amd64 b4 web interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

billm

Dabbler
Actually as long as I've been using the 8.0.1 amd64 betas the Reporting screen has not populated. I'm wondering if there is some plugin I need to install for my web browser to support that? I've tried it with IE 9, Chrome and Firefox 5 without success.

Otherwise Beta 4 is working great.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm using Firefox 5 because IE 8 and 9 have issues with the FreeNAS GUI. I've also heard Chrome has some minor issues. Firefox is the only browser I know of which tends to work all the time. As for plugins, nope, nothing you need to add that I know of.

Questions:
1) Do all the other tabs work fine?
2) What OS are you running?
3) When you have the Reporting tab up, does it display Hourly, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Yearly ? If so, what happens when you click on them?
4) Related to question 4, does the screen display the words "Hourly Graph"?
5) Have you tried to view from another computer?

I suspect you cannot display .png graphic files.

-Mark

billm

Dabbler
Thanks for the suggestions.
1- All the other tabs work fine.
2- I'm running Windoz 7 64bit
3- Nothing happens on the Reporting tab. It's as though I'd never clicked on it.
4- Really nothing is there. The Reporting tab is blank. The Settings and the System Information tabs work just fine.
5- I'm trying it now from WinXP VM with Firefox 5.01. Same results.

Is it possible something is messed up server side? How would I tell?

joeschmuck

Old Man
You got me. I'm glad you tried the VM, helps a lot meaning we now know it's not your main computer but must be FreeNAS. I'm not sure what though.

Try this, save your configuration file and then reset FreeNAS to Factory Defaults. Reboot (should happen automatically I think), and check that page again. you won't have drives listed but you should have the CPU. When done reload your configuration file. If you have any valuable data on the server, back it up before you do this. You shouldn't lose any data but that doesn't mean something won't go wrong. You might even try to load the boot drive again from the CD but do not upgrade (preserve data) and then see what happens.

I'm grasping at straws here. Hopefully someone else will have a better answer.

billm

Dabbler
I did a fresh install to a new computer using FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-amd64 and the reports tab works with Firefox 5.0.
However a fresh install of FreeNAS-8.0.1-BETA4-amd64 to the same system does not.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Your problems do not make sense to me. To recap... You install FreeNAS 8.0.1 Beta-4 on a system and you are using another computer to view the GUI. The GUI displays all the pages but the Reports tab. However if you install the original Release 8.0 the reports tab does display the charts. To date I think you are the only person having this problem.

My recommendation is to submit a problem ticket, explain the problem and list your hardware configuration for the FreeNAS box and list your OS and network connectivity and anything else you think might be of help in trying to isolate the issue.

I wish I could help you more but I'm at a loss here since you have identified it works one way and fails another.

You are using a 2GB USB Drive, right?

ProtoSD

MVP
I think there's a difference in the setting file between 8.0 and 8.01, so if you restore settings on 8.01 from 8.0 things get mucked up. It happened to me. I think all of the data used to generate the reports screen is in: /var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/df If you took a look in there and didn't find any rrd files that might explain why you don't see any reports.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I made an assumption maybe I shouldn't have, a clean install to me is an install, no upgrade of the current install nor restoration of the config file, just open up Reporting tab after installing Beta-4. You don't need to configure anything to see if it works.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I was able to recreate the Reporting Tab being empty but it didn't last long. I re-installed Beta-3 and Beta-4 to cover the bases. When FreeNAS was running I could pull up the reporting tab and it would remain blank for ~5 minutes, until the first reporting period. Once the reporting period occurred the charts would be available. This was factory settings, no changes what so ever. Try this on a separate 2GB or larger USB drive and boot your FreeNAS from it, make no changes and wait a good 6 minutes or more to see if the Reporting tab does work or fail.This doesn't sound like your problem but it's a start.

billm

Dabbler
Thanks for everyone's replies.
I think I am indeed a victim of the 8.0 release to beta upgrade errors syndrome. A fresh install of Beta-4 amd64 does work fine after waiting a bit.
So, I'll be doing a fresh install of 8.0.1 beta4 on my live system and re-entering my settings (not that hard) from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.