SOLVED System starts itself up at 2:00am - what's doing that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently setup a cron job to shut down my system at 12:45am each night and that works fine. Odd thing is at 2:00am the system starts itself up again. The motherboard BIOS is set to startup at 8:30am and I don't have any CRON jobs starting up the system. I'm fairly new to FreeNAS and Linux in general but the only other schedule that I know of is the scrub and that runs at 10:00am every 35 days. What schedule am I missing?

Log messages below. The system restarted itself at 2:00am and the messages below show that last few seconds of startup.

Code:
Feb 26 02:05:22 nas kernel: epair0a: link state changed to UP
Feb 26 02:05:22 nas kernel: epair0a: link state changed to UP
Feb 26 02:05:22 nas kernel: epair0b: link state changed to UP
Feb 26 02:05:22 nas kernel: epair0b: link state changed to UP
Feb 26 02:05:22 nas kernel: epair0a: promiscuous mode enabled
Feb 26 02:05:22 nas kernel: re0: link state changed to DOWN
Feb 26 02:05:22 nas kernel: re0: link state changed to DOWN
Feb 26 02:05:22 nas kernel: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair0b
Feb 26 02:05:22 nas kernel: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair0b
Feb 26 02:05:26 nas kernel: re0: link state changed to UP
Feb 26 02:05:26 nas kernel: re0: link state changed to UP
Feb 26 02:37:02 nas smbd[6201]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsmatchname: host name/name mismatch: 192.168.0.105 != (NULL)

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I don't have any CRON jobs starting up the system
Not possible, system is not running so a CRON job on FreeNas could not be ran. Check your BIOS, make sure it has the correct time. Maybe there is a BIOS update that is needed? Perhaps there is a Wake On Lan setting? If you have IPMI/BMC maybe check there. If it is not in the BIOS, then it has to be coming from somewhere else outside of the FreeNas system.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I will let you in on a little secret.

This has nothing to do with freenas.

It is impossible for a cron job on an OS that isn't even running to start up a physical machine.

There is no setting in an OS that can wake the PC from an actual shutdown. It has to be a setting in your BIOS

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There is no setting in an OS that can wake the PC from an actual shutdown. It has to be a setting in your BIOS
I do believe IPMI UEFI defines a function that the OS can call to have itself woken up from ultra-deep sleep (hibernation, basically), not that it would apply in a server.

Edited for caffeine defficiency.

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I do believe IPMI defines a function that the OS can call to have itself woken up from ultra-deep sleep (hibernation, basically), not that it would apply in a server.
Hibernation is not powered off. ;)

Also that is still a function at the BIOS level (IPMI)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hibernation is not powered off. ;)

Also that is still a function at the BIOS level (IPMI)
It might as well be, from the BIOS' perspective.

Also, I meant UEFI, not IPMI. Bah, I need coffee and/or sleep.

Yatti420

Wizard
BIOS time is always out of wack for me.. Something with BIOS/Freenas using dif timezone or whatever..

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
BIOS time is always out of wack for me.. Something with BIOS/Freenas using dif timezone or whatever..
That sounds incredibly weird.

System Time == OS time == local time

Yatti420

Wizard
That sounds incredibly weird.

System Time == OS time == local time

It was on an older build.. I'd have to double check if it still does it with the new gear..

Status
Not open for further replies.