System Dataset Location

Bernhard

Cadet
Dear Community
I hope I have chosen the correct subforum, if no, please move it accordingly.

I am operating a TrueNAS Core server with version 12.0-U-5.1.
Now I am trying to find the best location for System Dataset.
The System Dataset in my setup is actually located at the the pool I have created the first time.
That pool is used to store data.

My hardware setup has grown now up to:

One boot-pool built with 2 ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB PCIe M.2 NVMe with 128GB configured as Mirror; for the TrueNAS Core OS
Two pools with spinning HDD WD Red Pro built with 3 drives each configured as RAIDZ1; dedicated for my data storage
One pool built from 4 SSD's free available disks from various installations in the past; configured as RAIDZ1; containing my jails.
No pool is encrypted.

To keep data and OS separate I would like to transfer System Dataset to the boot-pool.

According documentation I have only to select the pool from the drop down menu:
"Users can change the System Dataset by selecting an existing pool from the System Dataset Pool drop down".
After rebooting the system everything is done.

The word users confuses my some how: Can every user do that or is it only allowed to the root user?
Searching in the forums didn't really help; is it so easy as written in the documentation or is there any thing I have to take care of when I relocate the System Dataset?

Many thanks in advance for support!

sretalla