System Crashes/Powers off Doing Disk "Long" Scan

theprez

Explorer
When attempting to perform a manual "long" test (storage -> disks->) with 12 drives selected, the system will crash/power off within 5 minutes. I can't seem to locate any crashdata or anything of importance in /var/log via shell. Not running a manual test results in a perfectly fine system.

All I can catch before it does this is:

Audit AppArmor Profile Removed and then a quick wall of text before the unit powers off.

Are crash logs kept somewhere else?

EDIT: This crash doesn't occur if I turn off the virtual machine first and run the same long test. With the virtual machine running, and starting the long test it crashes/powers off the entire machine.

Thanks

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
You should check for heat, disk and CPU utilization while running the test......
If the hardware shuts down, TrueNAS won't see anything but a power event.

You should report all the specifics of your hardware as well.

theprez

Explorer
You should check for heat, disk and CPU utilization while running the test......
If the hardware shuts down, TrueNAS won't see anything but a power event.

You should report all the specifics of your hardware as well.

Thanks for the reply - this occurred on a Dell T620, 6 fans - temp was at 71F.

Dell PERC 710P reflashed in IT mode
12 hard SATA Hard Drives
2 SSD Drives
1100W Redundant Power Supply
2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 0 @ 3.30GHz
64 GB ECC RAM

I suspect it's not temperature-related since it does the SMART tests with no issue without the Ubuntu VM running. The VM was spun up to run OpenVPN Server.

I'll see if I can find any commonalties but it seems to be an isolated issue so it must be a configuration issue of some sort on my end

Thanks