Swapping out HDDs to SSDs

tmkrvs

Dabbler
Hi there,

we're currently into the process of swapping out our NAS system at the DC for a new system based on HPE DL380 hardware with 16x 2.5" SAS HDDs, each 1.2TB in size. We're going to create a single pool with RAID-Z2 on a HBA (currently deciding between P440ar in HBA mode, H240ar or even a totally different one) which will use a NVMe PCIe SSD as caching device. System runs of an industrial-grade (SLC) microSD card inserted in the onboard microSD slo (I know, this might not be ideal!)

To be said: this server is just used as a data-dumping system with no heavy workload. Protocols which will be used are iSCSI and FTP(S) - no CIFS or anything else - no virtualization, no applications are going to be run on the TN server.

I know about TNs capability of expanding a pool when upgrading the HDDs in size - but is it possible to swap out the HDDs for SSDs (not mixing SAS with SATA, it will stay a pure SAS storage) at some day? The controllers should be capable of this as long as they're not used as a RAID itself.

BR
Tim

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
16x 2.5" SAS HDDs, each 1.2TB in size.
Why? That seems like a great way of burning money when you could use fewer, larger NVMe SSDs for the same or better effect...
currently deciding between P440ar in HBA mode, H240ar o
Neither of those is considered reliable.
but is it possible to swap out the HDDs for SSDs (not mixing SAS with SATA, it will stay a pure SAS storage) at some day? T
The only thing that's relevant is whether the new disks are the same size or larger.
The controllers should be capable
The controllers should barely factor into this, as they must simply provide access to whatever is plugged into them.

tmkrvs

Dabbler
Why? That seems like a great way of burning money when you could use fewer, larger NVMe SSDs for the same or better effect...
Easy to say: We just have this system in stock. And as I outlined - speed is not the top-most priority for us with this system. Energy consumption is nothing to worry about that hard.

Neither of those is considered reliable.
Ok, so better use a different HBA - that is, what I read before. Any recommendations?

The only thing that's relevant is whether the new disks are the same size or larger.
Sure - if we do this, they will be bigger for sure ... ;-)
The controllers should barely factor into this, as they must simply provide access to whatever is plugged into them.
Well, if HP P440ar are in RAID-mode (which we won't use), you can't swap out HDDs for SSDs within an array - that's why I was asking if TN has any limitations in that direction.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Easy to say: We just have this system in stock. And as I outlined - speed is not the top-most priority for us with this system. Energy consumption is nothing to worry about that hard.
Does it not take NVMe SSDs?
Any recommendations?
Same as always. LSI HBAs in IT mode, e.g. SAS 9300.
Well, if HP P440ar are in RAID-mode (which we won't use), you can't swap out HDDs for SSDs within an array - that's why I was asking if TN has any limitations in that direction.
No, that's the sort of nonsense that led to ZFS being developed in the first place. ZFS couldn't care less, as long as the data shows up intact and, ideally, quickly.

tmkrvs

Dabbler
Does it not take NVMe SSDs?
There are backplanes for the cages with NVMe connection - but that would be a big invest.
Same as always. LSI HBAs in IT mode, e.g. SAS 9300.
Sounds good, a 9300 16i is currently available at our distributor for a quite reasonable price.
No, that's the sort of nonsense that led to ZFS being developed in the first place. ZFS couldn't care less, as long as the data shows up intact and, ideally, quickly.
Yeah, you nailed it - this sort of limitation is indeed nonsense - so I think that I'll grab a 9300 16i.

Thanks

tmkrvs

Dabbler
Just a short update from me - I just flashed the 9300-16i, now awaiting the Mini SAS SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 to get the backplanes connected to the HBA. Thanks for all the input here!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

tmkrvs

Dabbler
Don’t know what happened here, but there had been a gap between buying the HBA from our distributor and collecting it of about 2.5 hours. ;-) But yeah, it’s more like “suborbital rocket delivery” then waiting for the parcel guys to pick it up and carry it for about 40mi.