Supermicro X9SRL-F + E5-2670v2

Snow

Patron
Last edited:

Velcade

Contributor
Updated to FreeNAS-11.2-U4 with no issues.
Is there a subforum for stable FreeNAS version discussion?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picked up another 64GB of Samsung (4x16GB) 1600MHz ECC DDR3 1.35V memory. Was a good deal and should hold me over for a long while.
The server is running great. We have 4 people on it; transferring files, watching movies, etc. Next on the list would be an external back up to this machine.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Velcade

Contributor
I am not sure that is what you are looking for. What did you have in mind?
That works I suppose. I was curious if there was a single thread stating "11.2 - U4 live" (or something) and people can post their comments about the new versions and issues they come across. Keeping the information neatly in one area. It's nice to have positive user feedback as well.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Snow

Patron

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What Ver FN you ruining Chris ?
I have the the 11.2-U4 on my test system at home but I am still running 11.1-U7 on my primary system at home and on the systems I manage at work. I am always slow to adopt the new versions when they make a big change because I want to allow time for the bugs to get worked out.

Snow

Patron
Yeah I try to do the same unless it fix's a big bug for me. I try to stay 2 ver back like you. I am on 11.2U4 atm as it has fixed a Jail bug I was having.

Last edited:

Velcade

Contributor
Couple of updates...

Updated to 11.3 with no issue and added an Intel X540-T1. Both are working great.

1583354185292.png

My next move will be to replace the tower case with a 4U case, just haven't found the right one yet...

Bozon

Contributor
LED strips. I get it. It's dark in the basement.
And they are super cool. With the right control software, you could make them dance in dynamic patterns, or if you are usefully minded, they could flash and change color indicating different situations. low green for everything is going fine with low usage, flashing increasing speed as usage goes up (think drive light). Faster red flashing if temperature goes above thresholds, etc. How fun. Now I want a rack with color change LED strips and a controller. :)

Velcade

Contributor
My next move will be to replace the tower case with a 4U case
Well I've found one I'm happy with... Silverstone RM41-H08. This is a great case, plenty of room for what I need. Only issue was low fan speed error when using the low RPM Noctua fans. I was able to resolve this issue by hooking the fans up to a fan controller independent of the motherboard.

Silverstone RM41-H08 2.jpg

Velcade

Contributor
Just jumped trains over to TrueNAS. Everything seems stable.
1608485639779.png

Velcade

Contributor
Trying to update plex and ran into this error.
Error: Major ABI change detected, please run 'upgrade' instead.

I was able to fix this by entering the following into the host shell:
Code:
iocage upgrade plexmediaserver -r 12.1-RELEASE

Just wanted to add this if anyone else runs into the same error.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Just jumped trains over to TrueNAS. Everything seems stable.
I also had success with my systems. All are on 12.0-U1 now.

Velcade

Contributor
Pool Status: DEGRADED

:frown:

I set the suspect drive to 'offline' and the spare drive started the resilver process. In 6 hours, 10 minutes, 20 seconds we'll see if it works. *Fingers Crossed*

--------------
EDIT:
Everything worked fine once I realized I needed to 'remove' the drive once it was offline.

Funny thing is the degraded drive is showing fine on a quick SMART test, running the full SMART test now. Will know more in a few hours.

Last edited:

Velcade

Contributor
Extended SMART test passed with no errors. I've since added the drive back into the pool as a spare. Not sure what happened but it did happen right after the reboot installing 12.0-U2.

Good trial run for a degraded pool, I suppose.

Velcade

Contributor
Storage upgrade day! I finally filled up my 24TB and needed more space.

12TB WD Elements were on sale for $14.9/TB so I grabbed four and after stress testing I got to shucking.

20210326_165200.jpg
Surprisingly easy to remove these from their enclosures. For those courious the drives are WD White - WD120EDAZ

20210327_071114.jpg
I had a spare Rosewill drive-bay that I used as a temporary mount for the new drives.

The data transfer was... interesting. I went the Replication route and it copied most of the data over. For some reason any data generated in March was not pulled over. Not a huge deal because the old pool is still active and I can manually add those files. I just found it strange that not all the data was pulled over during the Replication task.