Supermicro X9SRI-F Build Sanity Check

trueJack

Dabbler
Hello All,

I will soon be the proud new owner of a second-hand X9SRI-F.

Then also:
  • Seasonic Focus GM-650
  • 4x RDIMM DDR3 16GB ECC RAM at 64GB total
  • Xeon 2680V1 8C 130TDP
  • Thermalright Assassin Spirit Pro (dual fan)
  • FSP CMT370 case with 9 or 10 drive slots (I forget)
  • 6 x HDD Seagate Iron Wolf ST4000VN006 4T drives (for RAIDZ2, purpose is backup)
  • 2 x SSD Transcend SSD420K 128GB (for root and maybe some VMs?)
I already own an X10SRW-F with Proxmox on it. That system has some ZFS pools with active data and an extra ZFS pool for backup purposes. However, everything is kind of mixed together. Now, for this new system, I want it to function as a backup ONLY. It may run some extra containers or VMs like Pihole or some such, but all the active data should be actively kept elsewhere. This NAS will only have backup data. Actually, it will be the backup of the backup, because in fact all my data should be backed up on the Proxmox box already. I intend to use ZFS to get the snapshots from Proxmox over.

I want to ask you to help review my hardware, and also my intended purpose.

Also, I see there are now two general help forums, one for Truenas Scale and one for Core. Any reason I should not try Scale first?

Regards and thanks!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I want to ask you to help review my hardware, and also my intended purpose.
Looks ok for the intended purpose. I have that motherboard and a similar CPU and it works fine for what I use it for. It's not very energy efficient compared to what's availabe in newer generations as long as you know that going into it. Also the IPMI java kvm interface is all but useless due to it's age. If you want to effectively use the IPMI function you'll want to access it via Supermicro's IPMIview application.