Supermicro Sas1 sas826el1 expander with 3tb hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlos juan

Dabbler
Hello! I'm preparing to expand my freenas (raidz2 6x 3tb hdd) and bought a sc826el barebone chassis with a 826el1 backplane expander. I will use a h310 IT

I found out that this expander is just a sas1 expander, and, there seems to be problems with supermicro expanders and >2tb hdd.

Is there anyone that can shine some light into actually puting 3tb disk to this backplane?, it uses a lsisasX28 chip, which is quite old. To make things worse, two of my disk are Seagate 3tb consumer drives.

I could just try putting my pool disks in that backplane but I'm scared that it could corrupt my pool. Should I dump all this and wait until I can buy a sas2826el1 expander? For the sake of my pool.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If you already have a pool created with drives larger than 2TB I wouldn't connect them to that backplane.

carlos juan

Dabbler
If you already have a pool created with drives larger than 2TB I wouldn't connect them to that backplane.
Ok! Thank you! What about using a sas2826el1, will it be safe to plug my drives with my already created pool in that backplane? It's a sas2 backplane with an expander.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Ok! Thank you! What about using a sas2826el1, will it be safe to plug my drives with my already created pool in that backplane? It's a sas2 backplane with an expander.
SAS2 supports the larger drives. Should be fine.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I found out that this expander is just a sas1 expander, and, there seems to be problems with supermicro expanders and >2tb hdd.
It isn't Supermicro, it is SAS1 (older standard) that did not support drives larger than 2TB.

carlos juan

Dabbler
It isn't Supermicro, it is SAS1 (older standard) that did not support drives larger than 2TB.
Fair enough, I have to say, that by the stuff I read, there seems to be more people having problems with supermicro backplanes and Seagate consumer hdd than others manufacturers and I was referring to that though. As I value my data I will wait until I can just buy the sas2826el1 backplane and be done with this, Almost all I read points to having problems or that it might or might not work, thanks for the heads-up.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not inherent to SAS1. LSI just cheaped out and truncated the 48-bit LBA to 32-bit in silicon, presumably to reuse a cheap 32-bit CPU core without needing wider registers to accommodate the extra 16 bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.