SOLVED Supermicro BIOS access Issue

Lazarus

Dabbler
I am a complete newbie when it comes to super micro systems and could use advice anyone has.

When I try to access the bios I just get a black screen

The system:
I broke down and decided to get a full server for my freenas system it is:

X9DRi-LN4F+
2- Intel Xeon E5-2680 V1 Octo Core 2.7GHz
256GB DDR3 ECC 16 X 16GB sticks
3 LSI 9211-8i (IT mode)
SUPERMICRO 32GB SATA SMC SATADOM
SC846BA-R920B 24 X3.5" drive Bays case

I have not installed the primary storage drives as I wanted to get every thing configured in the bios first so I was sure to install freenas to the proper drive and simplify initial set up.

I have tried removing the battery and clearing the cmos with no change.

I found some online recommendations to update the BIOS but the one online states a version 2 must be installed before using it and I cannot confirm what bios version is currently on the system

any Ideas?

thank you in advance

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You get absolutely no video? Is it enabled? There's probably a jumper for that.

Lazarus

Dabbler
I get video the super micro boot screen.

I can even boot to the ultimate boot CD on USB if I put it in the USB slot inside the case and utilize it no problem

But if I try to go into the BIOS..... IE When I pres DEL to enter setup it says initializing then goes to a black screen

zoomzoom

Guru
When you press DEL, is it shown in the bottom right hand corner as an option? SuperMicro MBs will show the logo while waiting for the BMC interface to start [if it has IPMI], then 15 - 30s later will show the option to access the BIOS.
  • If that doesn't work, have you verified the keyboard is being detected by the system?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If I recall correctly either F11 or F12 gets you into the BIOS. It should be printed on the screen at boot time.

Lazarus

Dabbler
Well apparently the issue is I am to fast to press DEL... I went back to the system to make sure I recorded the messages correctly. But was on the phone and did not hit DEL when prompted. I let the system run while I finished my phonecall and it re ran through the initialization and the menu shows up again at which point I pressed DEL and it loaded the BIOS

I have now duplicated this and it appears that if I wait for the second prompt it works fine. but if I try for the BIOS the first time it hangs.

not sure why but it means I can set the BIOS now.

So thank you every one for your help

zoomzoom

Guru
That's normal for SuperMicro MBs and is simply how the MB does it's POSTs

Charley

Cadet
Glad I found this thread. I am experiencing virtually the same issue on a very similar build.

X9DRi-LN4F+
2x Intel Xeon E5-2660
96gb DDR3 10600R ECC Reg Memory
9210-8i JBOD Controller
12 x 3.5" Trays
6 x 5TB Toshiba X300 drives RAIDZ
SANDisk 32GB Micro USB Flash Drive

First boot up, I got into the BIOS just fine, configured IPMI port and boot order. Rebooted and then tried to go back into BIOS when it didn't boot off of the installed USB stick. Couldn't get into the BIOS using the delete key. I've also noticed that after hitting the delete key, the mobo beeps and appears to reset and then brings up the BIOS menu a second time, but only for a split second and then goes to a black screen. I will try waiting for the second BIOS menu before hitting delete this evening. If this works, I'm going to scan a giant middle finger and send it to SuperMicro. I've stripped this box down trying to figure it out and now I'm a little irritated. :smile:

Andrew Ostrom

Explorer
Did you ever get this to work? I just bought a server with the XDRi-F motherboard and spent hours and hours fighting this same issue. Pulled the battery and reset BIOS, and still can't get in. I'll try the techniques above.