Supermicro 847E26-RJBOD1 question

Psynapsx

Dabbler
Hi guys,

so I want to build a large FreeNAS storage. I spent several hours reading through all the information I could find on this forum so all that is left is to ask for your opinions/confirmations about my idea.

- I want to use a Supermicro 847E26-RJBOD1 for this project: product page. It is relatively inexpensive used and I like that it has 45 drives in a 4U form factor with dual power supplies.
- what I learned is that I absolutely should not use this with a raid controller. So I won't. I have a spare Dell PowerEdge R720 that I'm planning to use to run FreeNAS, get a HBA card and connect the Supermicro 847E26-RJBOD1 to it, leaving the Dell Perc raid controller that's in the R720 out of the picture completely.
- I read that SAS1 does not support drives larger than 2TB. Luckily the Supermicro 847E26-RJBOD1 has SAS2 backplanes. I plan to use 16TB WD Gold sata drives in the Supermicro chassis. Does it support 16TB drives? Saw someone on the forum warned against using SATA drives in a SAS backplane. Will it be fine?

thank you

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, everything will be fine. Disk size limits are, in practical terms, a relic of the past. LSI SAS1 hardware stands out as something that cut corners and got stuck with stupid artificial limits (they cheaped out and only support 32-bit LBAs instead of all 48 bits), but it's an outlier.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Dell PowerEdge R720 that I'm planning to use
Here are a series of videos that have useful information relevant to your plan.

If you use the correct SAS controller in the R720, it will make a fine head to control as many disks as the SAS controller can address. I have a system at work that is running 122 drives.
It also matters how you configure these drives in the pool as that affects performance of the pool. What use will you put this system to?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. The guy that makes these videos has a lot of great information and he puts it in an easy to understand format:

Psynapsx

Dabbler
PS. The guy that makes these videos has a lot of great information and he puts it in an easy to understand format:

wow thank you very much for all the recommendations. I will make sure to watch them.
What SAS controller would you recommend?
It's a decent spec. R720 with two 10 core Xeons although memory is only 32GB at the moment because I had to use some of the modules for other projects but I can easily add more if needed for FreeNAS.

I will use this system as an IPFS storage for the Filecoin project. It does not require great performance. Stability and data integrity on the other hand is very important.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot