Supermicro 826e16 - Doesn't see HDD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

njord

Cadet
I purchased a Supermicro 826e16 chassis with a X8DTN+ motherboard. I was able to install FreeNAS just find on the system (on an SSD connected to the MB directly through a SATA cable).

My issue is that I can't get the hard drives in the bays to be recognized by the motherboard or FreeNAS. I did get this cable to connect from the backplane to the motherboard SATA connectors. The SSD I use to boot from is able to be recognized on all MB SATA ports.

Reading again through, "Don't be afraid to be SAS-sy" thread, specifically the cabling section - I think I may have bought the wrong cable and that's my issue.

What would be the right cable to use?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your problem isn't exactly the cable, it's that your backplane has a SAS expander, and needs a SAS controller. Your motherboard doesn't have a SAS controller, just SATA. You need a SAS HBA, and then you can run a mini-SAS cable from that to your backplane.

njord

Cadet
@danb35 Thank you again for helping me with my build. You mentioned in a previous reply to my original build thread a LSI 9211-8i, would that be what I'm looking for here?

danb35

Hall of Famer
The 9211-8i, or the IBM M1015, are the go-to choices around here. If you find them for the same price, go for the LSI-branded card; it's easier to get to the right firmware version.

Stux

MVP
I purchased a Supermicro 826e16 chassis with a X8DTN+ motherboard. I was able to install FreeNAS just find on the system (on an SSD connected to the MB directly through a SATA cable).

My issue is that I can't get the hard drives in the bays to be recognized by the motherboard or FreeNAS. I did get this cable to connect from the backplane to the motherboard SATA connectors. The SSD I use to boot from is able to be recognized on all MB SATA ports.

Reading again through, "Don't be afraid to be SAS-sy" thread, specifically the cabling section - I think I may have bought the wrong cable and that's my issue.

What would be the right cable to use?

Although Mirfster is right, that you need a sas controller, if you didn't, you would still have bought the wrong cable.

To go from mother board single lane sas/Sata ports to a multi land port you need a "reverse break-out" cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.