Successful Upgrade: 8.3.0 to 11.3-U4.1

damfino

Cadet
I just want to thank everyone who has posted before me here on suggestions, experiences, and warnings about upgrading FreeNAS. I have had a stable FreeNAS being used as a fileserver for many, many years, and I finally got the courage to upgrade this box.

I first copied my boot drive (a 4GB USB flash drive) to a new 16GB flash drive, verified that new USB drive booted up properly within the FreeNAS box, then I ran the installer. It went flawlessly, and though it took a very long time to boot the first time, everything came up and all accounts and fileshares work fine.

I have to say, even up to when I ran the installer, I was prepared for it to not work and that I would have to put in my original 4GB flash drive in the box to bring it back up.
I was extremely happy that this upgrade worked so well, and I am now running a new system with a new GUI that I have to now get acquainted with.

Thanks again, first and foremost to all the developers working on this as well as to the posters for all the advice and caveats.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome to the forum. That's a big leap indeed, from 8.3.0 to 11.3-U4.1! Glad it worked out well for you.

spiceygas

Explorer
Wow, that is courage. I'm glad it worked out so well.