Subsonic Plugin vs. Manual (WAR) Installation Sonos Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviant0ne

Dabbler
I've been trying to run-down a strange issue I have with my FreeNAS box and my Sonos speakers. If I install the Subsonic plugin in FreeNAS 11 and disable (un-check) VIMAGE, I am able to connect to my Sonos setup without issue. However, if I create a blank jail and install Subsonic manually (using either Jetty + the WAR file or the stand-alone Subsonic package), I cannot connect to my Sonos system, the Subsonic instance isn't able to locate any Sonos controllers on my network. I really don't want to manually add the jail to my Sonos speakers; there must be a way to configure this on my jail since I am able to get the plugin to work. I am thinking that I'm missing some kind of network broadcast setting that the plugin has configured.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Deviant0ne

Dabbler
Were you able to figure this out?
Unfortunately, no; I'm still working on this. I am in the process of tearing apart the Subsonic plugin and looking for differences. I am thinking I may also try running Tomcat and see if I get a different result.

Deviant0ne

Dabbler
I was able to make some progress with this - it seems the issue is likely related to Java 8 vs. Java 7. If I run the standalone version of Subsonic in a standard jail using Java 8, I get the behavior listed above; if I run the same instance of Subsonic using Java 7, I am able to communicate with my Subsonic controllers/speakers. I am going to start researching the security differences between Java 7 vs. 8 now.

Deviant0ne

Dabbler
Ok, I was able to make more progress with this. I removed all of the existing Subsonic jails I had running to avoid possible issues with Sonos service ID overlap, created a new jail with VIMAGE disabled and was able to attach to my Sonos system without any issues. The Java version seems to be a red herring at the moment.

Now, I'm fighting a new issue where trans-coding from FLAC to MP3 stops after approximately 1 minute or so, though it's random. I've tried trans-coding with FLAC+LAME and with FFMPEG with the same results. I have also tried with the stand-alone version of Subsonic, again with the same results.

To be continued...

Status
Not open for further replies.