Storage problem with several jails (sickrage, couchpotato,.. )

Status
Not open for further replies.

rippah

Cadet
Hi all,

currently I am running FreeNAS version 9.10 stable. On this, I have set up couchpotato and sickrage and it works as it should. Now this morning I saw an CRITICAL alert showing that the capacity of my volume is at 95%. After further investigation I found out that my TV shows and movies are stored in two different directories. So the downloaded files are located in the different jails (eg. /mnt/v1/jails/sickrage/media/, but also at /mnt/v1/media/TV. And if I try to delete something in one directory, it will also be deleted in the other.

Any ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

m0nkey_

MVP
if I try to delete something in one directory, it will also be deleted in the other.
Depends. You don't say how your storage is mapped to the jail. Also, if your volume is at 95%, you may want consider freeing up some space, because anything greater than 80% can cause issues with your pool.

danb35

Hall of Famer
And if I try to delete something in one directory, it will also be deleted in the other.
I think what you're seeing is the way that storage works in a jail. There aren't actually two copies of these files, but the dataset (or directory) from FreeNAS is mounted inside the jail, so that its contents can be seen inside the jail (which wouldn't otherwise be possible). That's why, when you delete a file, it disappears from both places.

And, as @m0nkey_ said, you really need to free up some space, or expand your pool, stat.

rippah

Cadet
Depends. You don't say how your storage is mapped to the jail. Also, if your volume is at 95%, you may want consider freeing up some space, because anything greater than 80% can cause issues with your pool.
I think what you're seeing is the way that storage works in a jail. There aren't actually two copies of these files, but the dataset (or directory) from FreeNAS is mounted inside the jail, so that its contents can be seen inside the jail (which wouldn't otherwise be possible). That's why, when you delete a file, it disappears from both places.

And, as @m0nkey_ said, you really need to free up some space, or expand your pool, stat.

I am trying to find the tutorial that I followed to set it up, but I don't find it.. What information do you need to determine how the storage is mapped to the jail?

I am copying files to an external hard drive to free up some space.

danb35

Hall of Famer
What information do you need to determine how the storage is mapped to the jail?
A screen shot of the Jails -> Storage page would be a good start.

rippah

Cadet

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 23.38.46.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 23.38.46.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 23.39.02.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 23.39.02.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 194

danb35

Hall of Famer
OK, pretty much as expected. So, if you do 'ls /mnt/v1/media/TV', 'ls /mnt/v1/jails/sickrage_1/media/tv', and 'ls /mnt/v1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media/tv', you should see the same things in each. Those aren't multiple copies of the same material; you can think of them as symbolic links to the original, which is at /mnt/v1/media/TV. If you delete a file at any of those locations, it will disappear from all of them.

rippah

Cadet
OK, pretty much as expected. So, if you do 'ls /mnt/v1/media/TV', 'ls /mnt/v1/jails/sickrage_1/media/tv', and 'ls /mnt/v1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media/tv', you should see the same things in each. Those aren't multiple copies of the same material; you can think of them as symbolic links to the original, which is at /mnt/v1/media/TV. If you delete a file at any of those locations, it will disappear from all of them.

Okay I see, is there a way to fix this/ solve this issue?

danb35

Hall of Famer
There's nothing to fix, and this isn't an issue--it's simply the way storage works with a jail. Why do you think this is an issue?

rippah

Cadet
There's nothing to fix, and this isn't an issue--it's simply the way storage works with a jail. Why do you think this is an issue?
Because I thought it takes the double amount of storage space on my hard drive..

rippah

Cadet
Alright thank you for great help ! But my problem is still not fixed..

I just deleted several movies and TV shows, and nothing has changed on the storage overview (even after a reboot). So I checked the size of /mnt/v1/media via shell and it is different from the one listed in the storage tab:

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 00.49.12.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 00.49.12.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 00.49.23.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 00.49.23.png
    53 KB · Views: 165

danb35

Hall of Famer
So even though you delete files, the space is still taken in the snapshots. You can either wait for the snapshots to expire, or manually delete them.

Status
Not open for further replies.