SOLVED state of elevation - smb shares & datasets freenas 11.3 (performance)

tiberiusQ

Contributor
dear all,

since i upgraded to 11.3 i try to understand all the related details and to find the best case of creating datasets and smb shares for my bloody windows clients.

the following questions came up:

01. should i recreate and migrate all datasets ?
01.01 if so and i select smb(case insesitiv) which seems to be recommended it is not possible to use rsync -a or -b and not --delete at all which makes it pretty tricky on a production server which holds a lot of data.
01.02 further we do use syncthing which mounts into the smb dataset and i guess with a dataset which is case insensitiv it is not possible to use syncthing, right?

02. should i recreate all smb shares ?
02.01 does this only relates to new shares or does it require also new datasets with case insesitiv - from the relase notes > Significant improvements to SMB sharing include ZFS user quotas support, web service discovery support, and improved directory listing performance for newly-created shares.
02.02 how does the new and experimental default object ixnas for all smb shares plays a role in all this ?

greets and best,
t.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
if someone cares: i tested all relevant options on this and do currently running the following setup for my windows clients:

1. i recreated all my datasets (smb = case insensitiv) + share defenitions
2. i migrated all my legacy data with rsync -rt (with downtime because rsync --delete does not work)
3. syncthing into smb datasets with case insesitivity does work if syncthing option ignore perm. is enabled

aloha,
t.