Start from scratch or reuse old prebuilt parts

stab244

Cadet
I'm planning on setting up a FreeNAS system since the PiNAS I've been using is just way too slow. I have an old prebuilt system running a Intel Core i5 6400 that I'm thinking about using but I would need to get a new mobo, case, and PSU, so I would only be reusing the CPU and maybe the RAM. My plans for the system is mostly file storage for now but maybe as a NVR in the future as well. Having the i5 would help a lot with transcoding if I need that. Any thoughts on what would be better for my use case?

Any thoughts on what would be better for my use case?
If it is just the CPU and memory you'd reuse consider purchasing used parts and go with a board/cpu that support ECC memory. While not an absolute requirement it is recommended. At the very least understand the down sides of not using ECC memory if you choose to go this route.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have an old prebuilt system running a Intel Core i5 6400 that I'm thinking about using but I would need to get a new mobo, case, and PSU, so I would only be reusing the CPU and maybe the RAM.
The CPU and RAM that you have are not worth reusing. You would probably be better served to sell the old system and take the money from that to use to build a system with actual used server components. Something like this perhaps: