Sporadic Panics - Page Fault [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bahne

Dabbler
hi,

My machine has begun randomly rebooting on panic: page fault.
sometimes it's right after booting and console menu.. reboot..
other times it runs about 30mins or maybe an hour.. reboot..
no warnings, other than blank screen.

Now I have googled abit and was wondering how I configure the dumpon to dump on an extra usb drive i have attached.
I am using a CD bootloader to boot on the first USB and the dump is too large to fit on the already specified drive which ever that might be.

I tried a reset to factory settings..

I tried to replace the NIC card to get wake on lan feature working, however that didnt work and the server would freeze and hang on idle or on file transfers, screen would still show the console menu although not reacting to input. I then put back the old NIC that worked without any problems before and since then I have had the panic attacks. Accidently the power was cut to the server and the next boot was when the first of the auto-reboot (panic) began.. so maybe one of these two specific circumstances had something to do with it.. i dunno..

anyhuw.. im blabbering.. For now to begin somekind of debugging, I would like to know how to I specify where to dump a panic log so it can be reviewed :)

ProtoSD

MVP
Your best best would be to open a trouble ticket at support.freenas.org. You'd need to create a free account. You'll need to provide more details about your hardware and which version of FreeNAS you're using, architecture, memory etc.

phoenix

Explorer
Heat problem or memory problem? I'd suggest you start by running memcheck for 24hrs to rule out any failing memory also take a look at your system and make sure it's adequately cooled and all the fans are clean and working correctly.

bahne

Dabbler
Machine has run perfectly the last 14 days until i decided to replace the nic to one with wol capabilities.. thats when the first problems began.. I have since replaced it with the one i used before.. heat might be an issue.. will try to "freeze" it with open windows etc... see if there are any reboots... then test with everything closed up etc..

bahne

Dabbler
well... my feet are freezing but the box has now been running and i have played media from it for 2 hours..
only thing that has happened so far is a console message "dc0: discard frame w/o leading ethernet header (4294967292 pkt len 429496729)

but i think i found the panic problem.. the old gfx card fan is not moving...

bahne

Dabbler
back to my original question... i have been trying to google howto configure where the system dumps a crash log so i can retrieve it and debug?
it just did a vm_*** fault and on reboot savecore could not find the kernel for /var/crash
im guessing i need to specify a few things in some config files, problem is i havent used any kind of linux for about 10 years.. and never worked with dump configurations. Would appriciate any insight into this :) i wish to specify which drive a dump should go to for later retrieval.

Status
Not open for further replies.