Some Jails Starting with No Default Route

ewhac

Contributor
After doing a bunch of work to restore my jails to normal operation, I noticed that only one of them was able to connect to the internet. The rest could ping machines on the local LAN, but not talk to anything outside their local subnet. After much pulling of hair, I finally noticed that the jails that couldn't talk to the internet had no default route. Once I manually added a default route inside the jail (route add -net default <gateway>), everything started working fine.

This config has worked in the past without issue. All the jails are set up via iocage, have a default route configured, and have VNET set. Stopping/starting the jails doesn't fix the problem; indeed, restarting a broken jail means I have to login and re-establish the default route. I can't see any significant difference between the working and non-working jail configs, or the jails' respective rc.conf files, and I'm starting to wonder if a race condition is involved (the working jail managed to grab vnet0/epair0; the others got vnet1 and vnet2).

Anyone have a hint on what to look for? I'm running 11.2-U2.1; the jails were just converted over to 11.2-RELEASE.

ewhac

Contributor
Nope, not yet.

In the meantime, I created a new jail for test-driving something, and it got assigned a default route. Funny thing, though: The new jail got assigned vnet0/epair0, just like the other jail that works. So, maybe I need to reset the network config on the non-working jails...