[SOLVED - USER ERROR - NOT A BUG] Periodic Snapshot Task spontaneous volume/dataset change

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan893

Dabbler
I'm abroad and not actively using my FreeNAS 9.10, which keeps churning along back home.

I was accessing other servers remotely on May 13th, and mounted a large network drive in one machine. As my systems are all synched via rsync several times per day, this accidentally caused my FreeNAS server to suck in an additional 400 GB in one VM. This was no real concern, for there is plenty of space available.

However as some odd side effect, it appears that one Periodic Snapshot Task had its Volume/Dataset automatically changed, sometime between 2016-05-13 23:00 and 2016-05-14 23:00.

The automatic task is supposed to create a daily snapshot (set to run only between 23:00-23:45, every 6 hours, keep for 48h).

The Volume/Dataset changed from "data_mirrored/server_backup" (which is my dataset location for the backups), to "data_mirrored".

In the list of snapshots I now have two "data_mirrored" snapshots, where previously I had none. The first from 2016-05-14 23:00, and the second from 2016-05-15 23:00.

As I discovered this today, I hope there is some information in the logs still available which will tell me what happened and why.

I've made a copy (cp -Rp) of everything in /var/log/ to prevent any additional loss of logging data.

Any ideas where to start looking?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Check out zfs history for all the commands that have run recently. This will show you how/when your snapshot changed. I will say that this is something that has always been this way and you didn't notice or you changed and didn't realize you changed it.

Please provided freenas version and hardware info like the forum rules say.

logan893

Dabbler
Thanks!

You are right, the zpool history does show this very same snapshot being created previously also. I must have entered the incorrect information when setting up this specific snapshot two weeks ago.

For reference I use FreeNAS 9.10, but as this does not appear to be a bug, it's moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.