[SOLVED] freenas web interface "0.0.0.0" issue

truenas_msi

Cadet
Hello everyone

I tried to install TrueNas Core 13.0-U4 into my old desktop and encountered an error like this:

Is it necessary to install the TrueNas Core with physical cable connection to my router? Or this issue is due to something else?

I do not have a static IP. DHCP Server is enable.

[System]
TrueNas Core 13.0-U4
Motherboard: MSI A55M-P33 FM1 AMD A55 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD A4-3400 APU with AMD Radeon 6410 HD Graphics 2.7GHz Socket FM1 65W Dual-Core Processor
LAN: Realtek PCI-E LAN controller RTL8111E
RAM: 8GB
Boot device: KINGSTON SSD MOW 100V SV100S2/64GB SATA II

[Router]
Motorola MG7550

Thank you in advance!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is it necessary to install the TrueNas Core with physical cable connection to my router?
You don't have to be connected to the network during the installation process, but you certainly do in order for your NAS to be accessible over the network--TrueNAS doesn't support WiFi.
LAN: Realtek PCI-E LAN controller RTL8111E
Realtek are well-known as garbage network controllers. It isn't too likely that's the cause of this problem, but I wouldn't rule it out.

truenas_msi

Cadet
You don't have to be connected to the network during the installation process, but you certainly do in order for your NAS to be accessible over the network--TrueNAS doesn't support WiFi.

Realtek are well-known as garbage network controllers. It isn't too likely that's the cause of this problem, but I wouldn't rule it out.
Thanks danb35. I did some homework before posting my question too. Just like you mentioned Realtek is notorious for its compatibility.

Yet, I found few cases about RTL8111E in this forum and it works sometime.

Any suggestion to move forward? Update the firmware, driver, etc.?

Thanks again!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Any suggestion to move forward?
Well, is your NAS plugged into your network? Have you checked that the connections are good on each end? Have you tried another cable? Are there any devices in between (network switch, another cable, etc.)?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yet, I found few cases about RTL8111E in this forum and it works sometime.

More often it doesn't.

This is also insufficient RAM; the minimum memory required by CORE is 16GB.

truenas_msi

Cadet
Well, is your NAS plugged into your network? Have you checked that the connections are good on each end? Have you tried another cable? Are there any devices in between (network switch, another cable, etc.)?
hi danb35, I plugged into my Motorola router via a new Ethernet cable, so there is nothing between them. Thank you in advance!

truenas_msi

Cadet
More often it doesn't.

This is also insufficient RAM; the minimum memory required by CORE is 16GB.

Thanks for your reply. I follow the minimum hardware requirement for 8GB RAM.

So, I guess Realtek network might be more likely the root cause.

8gb.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
hi danb35, I plugged into my Motorola router via a new Ethernet cable, so there is nothing between them. Thank you in advance!
And you're sure the router is serving DHCP over that port? Is there a different port you could plug it into?

truenas_msi

Cadet
And you're sure the router is serving DHCP over that port? Is there a different port you could plug it into?
hi danb35, thanks for your reply.

I enable the DHCP feature of the router

enable.png

I plug the cable into 1 of those 4 LAN ports

lan_port.png

truenas_msi

Cadet
Bought a new NIC: Broadcom NetXtreme 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Desktop PCI-E Network Card - BCM5751 NIC and issue solved.

Now only $21.99, slightly cheaper than Intel NIC.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Bought a new NIC: Broadcom NetXtreme 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Desktop PCI-E Network Card - BCM5751 NIC and issue solved.

Now only $21.99, slightly cheaper than Intel NIC.

These are not particularly good cards and not recommended for use with TrueNAS as they sometimes have weird firmware issues.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It isn't too likely that's the cause of this problem
So apparently, since replacing it with a less-crappy NIC solved the problem, the NIC was the cause--though why you didn't just get Intel is beyond me.