SolarFlare src included in FreeBSD 9.1 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufalien

Patron
Hi,

So I've determined that my SolarFlare 10Gb nic drivers live in the FreeBSD 9.1 distro;

/usr/src/sys/dev/sfxge.

While I have no issues compiling all day long in diff distros, how would I apply this to FreeeNAS?

Reading the FreeNAS 9.1.0 pdf guide which is very very well documented, gotta put my hands up to them for sure.

But not really finding my scenario yet.

D

dlavigne

Your best bet is to request that they be added to the build at support.freenas.org. That way, other users can also benefit from the addition of the driver.

aufalien

Patron
A true community indeed :)

I had posted on the devel mailing list and Josh was nice enough to respond. But I'll also do as you asked.

Once the build has been modded, will I need to download it once more? Or is it a simple case of doing an in place upgrade to my running system?

D

dlavigne

You can do an inplace upgrade to either the fixed version, or if it makes it into 9.1.1-RELEASE (due Aug. 20), by upgrading to that version.

aufalien

Patron
Hi all,

While the card will be supported in future builds of FreeNAS, I wanted to offer the driver for this card gotten off a FreeBSD 9.1 system. Simply place it in your /boot/kernel directory and load it via loader.conf which is a tunable.

One thing I had to do in FreeBSD 9.2 (didn't have time to run 9.1) is tuning mbufs which is a sysctl tunable.

As per there docs;
https://support.solarflare.com/inde..._beta.rl.txt&task=download&format=raw&id=1847

I found the card somewhat unusable in FreeBSD 9.2 until tuning it per the docs.

However in FreeNAS 9.1, I had no such issues.

Who knows, perhaps FreeBSD 9.1 has no issues either and its really a 9.2 problem.

Of course the default value in FreeNAS 9.1 for mbuf_jumbo_9k is 9216 were as in FreeBSD 9.2 its 6400, but I had to turn it up to 47200 for errors to go away.

Rename the attached sfxge.txt to sfxge.ko

- aurf

PS Don't be a barney and expect the peeps at FreeNAS to support this.

Attachments

• sfxge.txt
    204 KB · Views: 236

aufalien

Patron
Been using 9.1.1 RC2 as of today and am happy to report that Solarflare support is in that bad boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.