So, I avoided using datasets. Upgraded to TrueNas 12. Permissions problems...

nachodx21

Cadet
I have been searching for permissions issues for about 2 hours now. Everything I find tells me how to edit permissions on Datasets. All TrueNas documentation seems to indicate the same thing... I have been using these pools since Freenas 9, back when you could set permissions on root datasets. As I upgraded, I never added child datasets, and keep permissions wide open as this is a simple home server, and security is not a concern. Now in Truenas 12, root can no longer authenticate through SMB. I created a user to authenticate through SMB, and I edited my SMB share's permissions to allow everyone access (open profile). I cannot edit dataset ACLs because there are no child datasets in the pools, and the option to edit root dataset permissions was lost in FreeNas 11. I have full read access, but no write access. I created a test dataset on one of my pools, and I was able to read and write freely to it.

I have 2 questions.
1. In order to have full access to my data (read/write/create new folders), must I put my data into child datasets?
2. if yes, Is there a better way to get my 180TB of data into a dataset? Copying takes a long time, even within the same pool. I assume this is because permissions must be assigned to each file?

I'm almost certain that my hardware is irrelivent, so I did not specify. I will check back tomorrow to see if anyone wants anymore information. Thank you for your time.

-Paul
Version:
TrueNAS-12.0-U1

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
If you created a new user to be able to access the data (for instance, "smbuser" instead of "root"), then try the following:
1) chown "smbuser" /mnt/tank and see if that allows you to access the share. (assuming your share in /mnt/tank)
if that succeeds, then
2) chown -R "smbuser" /mnt/tank

nachodx21

Cadet
I am unable to edit because this is my first post. While testing moving small amounts of data into the child dataset, I found that I am unable to cut and paste. I can copy it into the dataset, but the original files remain outside of the dataset, as I do not have permission to delete them... I have backups of everything, but it'll take time to restore them.

nachodx21

Cadet
If you created a new user to be able to access the data (for instance, "smbuser" instead of "root"), then try the following:
1) chown "smbuser" /mnt/tank and see if that allows you to access the share. (assuming your share in /mnt/tank)
if that succeeds, then
2) chown -R "smbuser" /mnt/tank
This was successful! I can reassign the owner for all of these pools now. Thank you very much!