SOLVED So... Can I move a RAID setup to another NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, The title sort of poses my question for me.. but, Can I simply move a RAID array (RAID0) to another box?

Ive done a little research, and for the most part, it looks like the answer is likely yes... and I sort of assume it's a bit on the "hardware-dependent" side... But, will FreeNAS have any issue with me doing this?

gpsguy

Sure. As long as it meets FreeNAS requirements you should be fine. If the NIC changes, you will need to reconfigure the network settings, but other than that, there shouldn't be an issue.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So, The title sort of poses my question for me.. but, Can I simply move a RAID array (RAID0) to another box?

Ive done a little research, and for the most part, it looks like the answer is likely yes... and I sort of assume it's a bit on the "hardware-dependent" side... But, will FreeNAS have any issue with me doing this?
Because you use the word RAID and say "RAID0", it makes me concerned as to what you are referring to. If you are talking about a set of disks configured by FreeNAS as a ZFS vdev or pool then you can take them from a SATA controller in one computer and attach them to a SAS controller on another computer with no problem at all. Heck, you could shut your server down, take the disks out, shuffle them like a deck of cards, put them back in, power it back on and everything would just work. I have done both of those two things. Moving disks in FreeNAS is nothing at all like it is using a hardware RAID controller.

Because you use the word RAID and say "RAID0", it makes me concerned as to what you are referring to. If you are talking about a set of disks configured by FreeNAS as a ZFS vdev or pool then you can take them from a SATA controller in one computer and attach them to a SAS controller on another computer with no problem at all. Heck, you could shut your server down, take the disks out, shuffle them like a deck of cards, put them back in, power it back on and everything would just work. I have done both of those two things. Moving disks in FreeNAS is nothing at all like it is using a hardware RAID controller.
I have noticed this :) I actually scrapped the plans to try to transport data and instead, just did a dump to a bunch of externals, wiped everything and started fresh...

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You probably want to mark the thread as solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.