Snapshots on different disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

trackstar2000

Dabbler
Hello,

Just curious regarding snapshots. Can the snapshots be from a different disk?

Lets say I have 2 drives. One drive is production (superfast). The second drive is slow and want to use it to store the snapshots.

TIA,
TS

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You can certainly store snapshots on a different disk, just not ZFS snapshots. ZFS snapshots take advantage of the Copy-on-Write nature of ZFS to create snapshots, meaning the data remains right where it always was on your production disk. You can do a variety of things to snapshot copies of your data to the second disk, including rsync, or ZFS snapshot/rsync/snapshot destroy, etc.

Dusan

Guru
Or you can replicate (zfs send/receive) the snapshots to the other drive. You would need to keep just the last snapshot (so that incremental replication works) on the first drive and could keep many snapshots on the second.

panz

Guru
Or you can replicate (zfs send/receive) the snapshots to the other drive. You would need to keep just the last snapshot (so that incremental replication works) on the first drive and could keep many snapshots on the second.

If, if, if... zfs send/recv had a tool to monitor the whole operation. It has not. I'm struggling with this.

panz

Guru
zfs send -v will report live progress

I'd like:

1) to have a GUI feedback (something like a progress bar);

2) in alternative, I'd like to issue this command:

zfs send -R tank/music@001 | pv -i 10 | nc -w 30 -v 192.168.1.117 5600

but pv is not part of FreeNAS.

Dusan

Guru
2) in alternative, I'd like to issue this command:

zfs send -R tank/music@001 | pv -i 10 | nc -w 30 -v 192.168.1.117 5600

but pv is not part of FreeNAS.
Did you actually try the zfs send -v option? It first gives you the total amount of data to be sent and then it periodically outputs how much data it sent so far. Very similar to the data you would get from pv (actually more, as pv would not be able to figure what the total is).
From the documentation (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=zfs):
[PANEL] -v Print verbose information about the stream package generated. This information includes a per-second report of how much data has been sent.[/PANEL]

panz

Guru
I'm going to re-test that, because now I can't remember why - with netcat - that -v switch didn't show the expected results.

Status
Not open for further replies.