SMB Symlink Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachman

Cadet
Hello,
I have a question about symbolic links and an smb share. I currently have a single SMB share for one of my pool. I recently added another pool and added a symlink to that pools dataset. I am trying to share both pools in a single SMB share. I added the symlink and I can see it in the smb share when i go to it over the network, but if i try to go into the symlink folder it gives me an access denied. I have a single user that is the owner on both pool datasets, as well as the symlink itself. Is there an easier way to basically share 2 datasets on 2 different pools with a single smb share?

Any help would be helpful,
Beachman.

kdragon75

Wizard
Add this to you share options and test. Also verify the permission on the other datasets.
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes

Beachman

Cadet
Add this to you share options and test. Also verify the permission on the other datasets.
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes

I added

unix extensions = no
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes

and it still gives me a permission denied.

kdragon75

Wizard
An you triple checked teh "share type" on the data set and the permissions?

Beachman

Cadet
An you triple checked teh "share type" on the data set and the permissions?

On both datasets i have the same user owner and group owner, and both have the permission type as windows. All files on both datasets have the same owner as well. I even set the symlink owner to be that as well.

m0nkey_

MVP
Symlinks only work if there on the same filesystem. As they are separate filesystems (datasets), Samba will not traverse it correctly. You may want to look into Samba DFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.