SMB Shares Showing Two Network Locations and issue with ACL

MalVeauX

Contributor
Hey all,

SMB Share showing two names:

I'm not sure what I did. I originally had the shares made by making two groups and a single member and assigning permissions. Then I saw the name showed up on my network as "FREENAS" and I wanted it to be something else. So I redid everything, but this time, in the SMB service, I changed the name. I then updated the group, user and ACL just as before. Now the problem. The network location "FREENAS" persists and won't go away (rebooted both server & client machines). I see my new SMB service share name on the network, as "MALSERVER" as I wanted it to be. But "FREENAS" is still showing up too. I cannot access the "FREENAS" location. But I can access the "MALSERVER" location fine. I really would like that "FREENAS" location to go away. Yet I can't find anything in any of the SMB, groups, users, sharing, etc, where this name may exist in a list being used. Screen shot attached showing what I mean with a check next to what's good and I want to keep, and an X pointing at what I want to go away.

SMB_Service_Problems_08292020.jpg

ACL issues:

Also, finally, I'm trying to set it up so that when I made a SMB share I can have two users. One for everyone, public basically, and one for restricted access. But when I set it up, I cannot access the restricted data set that is being shared.

I did this by doing:

Accounts -> Groups -> Made two groups, PublicAccess and RestrictedAccess.
I made two user accounts, let's say A (public user) & B (full access user) basically.
I added the users A & B to the group for PublicAccess. I put only user B into the RestrictedAccess group.
I then go to Storage -> Pool -> I make two data sets. One public, one restricted.
For the public data set, I edit ACL to include Group PublicAccess and set the ACL Options to Open.
For the restricted data set, I edit ACL to include Group RestrictedAccess and set the ACL Option to Restricted.

I'm sure I'm missing something!

Thanks!

Very best,

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Do you have saved credentials in Credential Manager? I've often found if there exist credentials for the old workgroup/domain, they'll keep a zombie shared server listing alive in Explorer.

MalVeauX

Contributor
Do you have saved credentials in Credential Manager? I've often found if there exist credentials for the old workgroup/domain, they'll keep a zombie shared server listing alive in Explorer.

I likely do; I will look into that, thanks!

Very best,

MalVeauX

Contributor
Hrm, so I went to Credential Manager in Windows and removed the one I saw with the IP address to the FreeNAS machine. There was only the one. Didn't change anything yet.

I will keep looking.

I'm also still trying to wrap my head around how to configure two users as mentioned above, with access to two data sets where one has another level of access to get into restricted data sets and the other does not, but they both see a common data set. I would like the public data set to not even be seen at all by the group without that permission; and only see it if another group has permission. I'm sure this is possible, I just don't seem to be configuring it correctly.

Very best,

MalVeauX

Contributor

I removed anything I found in Credential Manager. I rebooted both machines. Restarted SMB service in FreeNAS. As soon as I enable SMB service, the "FREENAS" name shows up in my Networks again (but is inaccessible). I can access the shared data sets via typing in the IP address and then giving it username/pass and access it that way fine. But for some reason "FREENAS" still shows. Just like in the screen shot above. It goes away if I disable SMB service. So it clearly is the FreeNAS box presenting something. I'm just not sure what. I don't have any options that I can see in the service nor shares with a name of "FREENAS" like that.

Any other ideas where to look to remove this?

Edit:

Ok, I figured it out. I edited my SMB service itself in the configuration and when I add a WORKGROUP name that is common to my clients, it automatically shows "FREENAS" in the network (but is inaccessible). As soon as I changed that WORKGROUP name back to generic WORKGROUP, the "FREENAS" object in the network disappeared. All that shows now is the NetBIOS name under my networks, and when I attempt to access it, it asks for user/pass and when I enter it, I can see the data shares. Kind of a weird thing. Not sure why the workgroup name would show two items like that.

Very best,

Last edited:

Heracles

Wizard
Hey @MalVeauX,

This can be from many different places... One can be DNS cache, where that name is associated with the IP address. Windows is designed for doing its job half ways and is very good at that.

From what I see, I suspect the traces are more in your Windows client than in FreeNAS. Can you do a simple test ? Create yourself a Linux boot CD with a distribution like Ubuntu Desktop and boot your Windows system with it. You do not need to actually install Ubuntu, just select the option to try it. From that fresh and clean boot disk, do you still see that "FreeNAS" name in your network ? If you do, then indeed, the problem is within FreeNAS. If you don't, then the left overs are in Windows.

Good luck troubleshooting this,

MalVeauX

Contributor
Hey @MalVeauX,

This can be from many different places... One can be DNS cache, where that name is associated with the IP address. Windows is designed for doing its job half ways and is very good at that.

From what I see, I suspect the traces are more in your Windows client than in FreeNAS. Can you do a simple test ? Create yourself a Linux boot CD with a distribution like Ubuntu Desktop and boot your Windows system with it. You do not need to actually install Ubuntu, just select the option to try it. From that fresh and clean boot disk, do you still see that "FreeNAS" name in your network ? If you do, then indeed, the problem is within FreeNAS. If you don't, then the left overs are in Windows.

Good luck troubleshooting this,

Thanks; It ended up being a workgroup setting in SMB service configuration. When I added my home network's workgroup to its workgroup entry, it immediately added "FREENAS" but was inaccessible in the network locations. When I changed it back to generic WORKGROUP name, that went away immediately. Very strange behavior. I named the NetBIOS something different and it uses that when I access it directly. But the "FREENAS" generic name showing up went away with a workgroup setting. Odd to me that it showed up at all.

Very best,