SMB File Change Auiditing

Svedriall

Cadet
I work at an educational institution where our curriculum files are pretty valuable in a sense. We are going to be changing our file server to a different machine. I was testing TrueNAS 12 for the time being. I was able to enable full_audit on some of the shared. Read about VFS modules and tested some out too, changed the path to where I wanted and can see the logs. The problem is that the logs are way too much and way too complicated to read and analyze. I've tried to use "Netwrix" to hook into the system and get reports and notifications from there. It didn't work for some reason. If anyone has any kind of experience to make it work, I'd be delighted to no end.

Here is the question: Is there a plugin/system tutorial to actually get event reports to some kind of platform (preferably Slack notification) when a user deletes, opens, modifies, creates or moves a file in real-time?

I've been trying and searching for a solution for a few days, by no means I'm an expert but here are my findings:
  • Netwrix: Didn't work, couldn't connect or get data from the server, no documentation about BSD support, assumed not compatible.
  • GrayLog Plugin: Couldn't make it work, given management address doesn't respond. Tried a few installations, no cigar. Not exactly what i want anyway.
  • full_audit: Too much output, too complex to read.
  • kqueue: Coulnd't find any guide to install it on a Jail.
  • ZFS snapshot diff: Method too static to get any real-time stream.
Thank you.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think you need to persist with the full_audit logging and have your syslogs go to a graylog jail (which you will need to get working)...

You can then do filtering in graylog to make the output sensible and have alerts go to slack via graylog (which it can do).

If you do your research properly, I'm sure it can give you what you're asking for that way.

I was able to install a graylog plugin jail without issue and get into the admin portal, so you'll need to be more specific about what didn't work for you if you want some help with that. (did you connect to http://jail.ip:9000/ ?)

Svedriall

Cadet
Hi,

I was thinking the same, just got confirmation from Netwrix that it doesn't support the the OS at all.

The problem with the graylog is that it seems like the jail is getting created without a hitch, it gives me the IP and login detail on installation notes, but the IP that was provided, which is the same with TrueNAS but with 9000 port as you mentioned, seems like doesn't exist and page can't be found when tried to login.

What kind of information would you like me to look up?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I would suggest running the plugin as a VNET jail (with DHCP if you can).

It worked fine for me like that.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What kind of information would you like me to look up?
You should start by doing the VNET jail thing I suggested which will give the jail its own IP address

Then when you can use Graylog, look through what's being logged and think about keywords (like renameat, open, etc) which you can then use to trigger alerts, which can then in turn trigger notifications to slack.

Svedriall

Cadet
Yeah, tried that a moments ago but selecting DHCP instead of NAT results in an error towards the end of installation:

Code:
pkg.FreeBSD.org could not be reached via DNS

sretalla