SMART email notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

bal0an

Explorer
Hi,

my freenas runs only part time and boots every day. I have SMART turned on and have an issue on one disk. Every day on startup I receive TWO identical emails:

This message was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: freenas
DNS domain: fritz.box

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/ada2, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Device info:
SAMSUNG HD204UI, S/N:S2H7J90B744742, WWN:5-0024e9-205bf9ec0, FW:1AQ10001, 2.00 TB

For details see host's SYSLOG.

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional messages about this problem will be sent.

I have some questions:
1. how can I configure smartd to send send one email - instead of two - on restart?
2. how can I configure smartd to only send emails when the SMART status actually changes - persistent beyond reboots?

Regards, Andreas

Yatti420

Wizard
That drive has unreadable sectors it's dying.. You should replace the drive in question.. Is it sending two emails immediately on reboot..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is no way to have it persist across reboots. Smartmontools runs with the expectation that you won't be doing regular reboots and therefore persistence isn't necessary. Not to mention the fact that you "could" replace a hard drive behind it's back and it may or may not be able to identify by serial number and such. Some hardware doesn't allow you to view the serial number of a disk and won't tell you much of anything about the drive except "it's installed and is X GB in size".

SMART is designed to report when you have a problem. On bootup it finds a problem, so an email is sent out. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.