Dabbler
Hi all

My setup

2nd gen i5
16gig ram
3x 3tib disks - raidz
3x 500gig disk - raidz

My question
I get 111MB/s - 140MB/s write speeds but only max read speed of 50MB/s - 60MB/s on my Iscsi Lun's. Wil more memory fix this or is this because of the Raidz volume?

Any suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

joeschmuck

Old Man
How are you testing the throughput and what are your file sizes?

The writing speeds make sence becasue the RAM is caching your data before it gets written to the hard drives, so that is expected of course. Right now I suspect that you may be testing with small files and the pool design is not optimal for iSCSI operation.

Jaques

Dabbler
Hi there, I'm a testing coping the files from freenas box to Windows PC on the lan. I tested it with a range of file sizes. Ranging from 1gig to 2.5gig. All give same result

joeschmuck

Old Man
That is odd if you are transferring a single large file from FreeNAS to a wired LAN connected computer. The only thing I can think of is maybe your pool is really full and/or the files are very fragmented. I know that typically it is recommended for a minimum of 32GB RAM to be available for an iSCSI setup to work properly, I'm just not sure that is your issue.

Jaques

Dabbler
Pool is about 5.2tb with 2tb lun. Which has about 1.2tb data on it.

Jaques

Dabbler
Just an update eventually got this fixed. @#&* realtek NIC! Replaced card working now.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Oh yes, I found out from personal experience on that one. Had you posted the motherboard model then we may have jumpped on it quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.