slow transfer speeds on cifs share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanterrific

Dabbler
Hi. for some reason I am getting subpar transfer speeds.

here's my new hardware:
SERVER_MB SUPERMICRO|MBD-X9SCM-F-O
2x MEM 8G KINGSTON | KVR16E11/8KF RT (16GB total)
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz
3x Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200 RPM ST3000DM001

here is an iperf:
Code:
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[184]  0.0- 1.0 sec  25.7 MBytes  25.7 MBytes/sec
[184]  1.0- 2.0 sec  26.2 MBytes  26.2 MBytes/sec
[184]  2.0- 3.0 sec  25.9 MBytes  25.9 MBytes/sec
[184]  3.0- 4.0 sec  25.9 MBytes  25.9 MBytes/sec
[184]  4.0- 5.0 sec  26.0 MBytes  26.0 MBytes/sec
[184]  5.0- 6.0 sec  92.5 MBytes  92.5 MBytes/sec
[184]  6.0- 7.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  7.0- 8.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  8.0- 9.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  9.0-10.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  0.0-10.0 sec   671 MBytes  67.1 MBytes/sec
server sent unexpected data failed
Done.

i'm getting that error at the end for some reason. could it be because I am using a verizon fios router?

Is there anything else I should post here to give you a better idea of my settings and configurations?
thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
It would be nice to know what device you are transferring files with and the network connectivity between the two. Also, try a different Ethernet cable and do a direct connection between the two devices. What version of FreeNAS are you running.

Fanterrific

Dabbler
It would be nice to know what device you are transferring files with and the network connectivity between the two. Also, try a different Ethernet cable and do a direct connection between the two devices. What version of FreeNAS are you running.
oh right, sorry.
I am transferring a 2gb video file (mkv) over wifi to a laptop. with the laptop over wifi, i am getting speeds of about 2mb/s ~ 4mb/s. I have also tried transfer a large video file to a desktop over ethernet cable and i'm getting about 60mb/s, but I have gotten 100mb/s on a previous build that had a realtek nic. And I am running FreeNAS 9.2.1 thanks again.

bestboy

Contributor
That iperf printout looks suspicious.

From T0 to T5 the transfer is holding back. It seems to be capped at 25 MB/s.
Then at T6 the flow is unchained and reaches its maximum transfer rate of 112 MB/s at T7. That's as good as it gets and excellent for a Realtek NIC :)
For the rest of the time T8 to T10 it stays at max rates.

In short: Of the 10 seconds the transfer lasts you are limited to 25 MB/s for the first 7 seconds and only run at full speed for the last 3 seconds.

Now what is causing that? Who knows. It could be weird QoS settings, bad network hardware, buffer bloat, packet loss...
Since you are on WIFI the most obvious reason is probably TCP slow start due to packet loss.

Fanterrific

Dabbler
That's as good as it gets and excellent for a Realtek NIC :)
sorry for the confusion, but my previous nic was realtek, but I upgraded all my hardware and now my mb uses an intel nic. I ran the iperf again and it's all about 100mb/s, but it transfers files at like 2~4mb/s.

does anybody know where I should looking in my system? or where I can find way to trouble shoot it?

joeschmuck

Old Man
One issue is WiFi and it is not predictable. For WiFi it could be your WiFi router, your laptop, both. Most people will not try to help someone troubleshoot a WiFi throughput problem because there are too many issues that we cannot control. But if you wanted to stick with troubleshooting a wired throughput issue, you will find more help.

But let me offer some help anyway...
Do the same test using a direct Ethernet connection to the FreeNAS machine or use an Ethernet switch (not you Wifi Router) and ensure you can transfer the file back and fourth without issue. Try both smaller and larger files, see if those all work. If things go well then you can rule out the FreeNAS server. If they fail then you need to try a different computer other than your laptop to rule out the laptop as the issue. If they all work fine then try an Ethernet connection through your WiFi Router to see if that injects errors. So if you still have no issues it's time to try the WiFi yet again but also watch your WiFi Router to see if it reboots or something odd happens to it while you are transferring the file(s). If it only fails during the WiFi transfers then try a different WiFi Router or a different WiFi computer to rule out the cause.

Good luck.

Fanterrific

Dabbler
thank you joeschmuck! that was very helpful and very logical. I am going to try that out and report back on this thread. thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.