Sleep deprived: HP Proliant ML10 Gen 9 and LSI 9211-8i failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim1962

Patron
Q How do I determine where the issue is?

I have a working HP ML10 Gen 9 with 4*3Tb Raidz2
I want more space so have bought LSI 9211-8i
Flashed it to Firmware (v20) and ROM with SAS2Flash via EFI
Sas2Flash -list via FreeNAS shows its there and in IT mode

It doesn't give the Ctrl-C option to look at the bios

and no drives show up via FreeNAS

I have changed drives, changed Sas to SATA leads, Changed PCIe Slot, Changed PCIe Setting in the HP Bios, torn out hair etc

Is it the card (how can I really tell)
Is it a MB/HBA card conflict

Do I buy a different card (which/cheap), return current card for an exchange (new via Amazon), Move whole of FreeNAS to new case. Currently losing the will to live!!!

RickH

Explorer
You didn't mention what steps you used to crossflash the card, but did you reprogram the SAS address after you flashed the card? If you had to use Megarec to clean the flash it will typically reset the sas address to all 0's. If you did this same process with the old adapter it may be throwing an error due to the fact that hardware has changed but it's still reporting the same address. There is a great guide to crossflashing that includes the sas address step here:
Code:
https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

Also, depending on what exact card version you started with, when you did the crossflash from IR to IT mode you probably wiped out the BIOS. You have to install the corresponding BIOS that comes packaged with the P20 firmware. (As a side note, unless your booting from a drive attached to the card, you don't actually need the BIOS for FreeNAS, I typically don't install it on my cards as it speeds up the boot time of the server not having it)

Can you post the output of the sas2flash -list command

Tim1962

Patron
Thanks RickH

In fact after a better nights sleep (!) I fiddled a bit more and it transpired it wasn't the 9211 at all, but it seems like my PSU (300W I think) was struggling with the extra load of 5 HDD and one SSD (+plus Mboard etc). If I left off the extra drive and just plugged in my RAIDz2 to the 9211 all was fine.

New PSU on order and hopefully all will be fine
Thanks for the response though

Status
Not open for further replies.