Single disk to 2 new disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWright

Cadet
Hi,

Similar to yesterday's thread https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/upgrading-hd-capacity-and-migrate-data.26459 I'm kind of in the same position. My Windows home server v1 died and I built freeNas 9.3 with a single 1TB storage pool, mainly to evaluate it for my needs but I've added a few jails too which I'd rather not have to re set up as freeNas seems to fit the bill perfectly.

So I want to now add 2 new 2TB drives with some kind of stipe/mirroring (open to suggestions on what's best) and then remove the old 1TB drive (which is about to die according to SMART).
The mentioned thread suggests to use zfs replication, can I do this if the source drive is not zfs?
Or is there a way to add the 2 new disks to the same storage pool, convert to zfs and remove the old disk?

Very new to freeNas so not quite sure what the best approach to take is, any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Marvin.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What hardware are you running?

WHS v1-era stuff is almost certainly not appropriate.

In any case, it sounds like you're using UFS? If so, you can forget ZFS replication to move data. Use rsync or good ol' cp.

You can't convert a UFS drive to ZFS, but you don't have to. Set up a ZFS mirror (never simply stripe if you value your data) and copy stuff over to it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The mentioned thread suggests to use zfs replication, can I do this if the source drive is not zfs?
No, you can't, but if you set up a storage pool in FreeNAS 9.3, it is ZFS.

MarvinWright

Cadet
Thanks for the responses.

I've upgraded with new MB and a dual core cpu with 8GB ram. The disks in the WHS v1 server were all different sizes and are very old so will be getting a couple of new 2TB ones.
So it sounds like I need to create a new storage volume and copy everything from the current storage to the new.
After unmounting the old volume do I need to put the new storage on the same mount point as where the old one was?

Thanks,

Marvin

danb35

Hall of Famer
We really need to know more about your current setup. From your first post, it sounds like you set up FreeNAS 9.3 and created a single-disk pool, and have data and jails on that, which you want to move to a new 2 x 2 TB mirror. If that's the case, following the steps I gave in the thread you linked in your OP will result in a new pool with the same name as your old pool, and all the contents of your old pool including the jails. The new pool will be at the same mount point as the old; you won't need to do anything extra to make that happen.

MarvinWright

Cadet
Yep, your assumptions are correct about my setup, I will follow the steps you outlined !!
Thanks for the speedy help.
Marvin.

Status
Not open for further replies.